1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Tree lily bulbs

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Sweet-pea66, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Sweet-pea66

Sweet-pea66 Gardener

Extra care support worker
    Ratings:
    +254
    I planted into pots 9 Tree lily bulbs around 3 weeks ago,around 5 inches deep, they have now grown up and are about an inch above the soil in the unheated greenhouse...

Now this is the first time i've grown these,do i leave them has they are and just let them grow?

Wasn't sure if its too cold in the greenhouse...

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi Sweet P

How big are the pots , as tree lily grow huge , and normaly you would plant this type of lily in the garden borders not to keep in a pot other varieties that grow smaller would be more suited , they take about two years to get realy big but this also depends what size bulbs you have bought.

No it wont be to cold in the green house most probaly too warm and they will grow much quicker thann being left outside they are tough normaly but my brother who planted in the Autumn lost quite a lot but the ones he planted in February March grew much better last year but it was a harsh winter , so we put it down to his heavy wet soil .

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Agreed :) If they are going to stay in pots (or you are planning to plant them out "entire" a bit later on - I have some that I am doing that with) then I suggest putting them outside on days which are +5C or warmer, and putting them back into the greenhouse overnight if the temperature will be less than +5C. That will bring them on quicker than if you just leave them outside, and prevent the pots freezing solid if we get a cold snap (although THAT cold would be unusual in March ...)

Doing that will slow down their rate of growth, and stop them making the very soft growth that they will if left in the greenhouse.

• Like Like x 2
      • Sweet-pea66

Sweet-pea66 Gardener

Extra care support worker
        Ratings:
        +254
        Thank you both :) , the pots atm are 12 inches wide, i have 3 bulbs in each pot,and has my garden is all container planting, i was going to re-pot these into larger pots later on, i did think about leaving them outside and wrapping fleece around the pots if the temperture dropped too much.... would that be ok?
        If not i'll can do has you suggested :)

Thanks Tracey

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        My lily bulbs normally remain outside in a sheltered spot for the whole winter. How many are in a 12" pots have you used? I would have thought 3 to a pot would be OK.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Does anyone know the correct latin name for "tree Lillies"?
        I'm always confused by what people mean, and what defines a tree Lily.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Well, there are the cardiocrinums, which are similar to lilies but rather less straightforward to grow for various reasons, but I suspect you don't mean those. The things sold as "tree lilies" by lots of the big nurseries at the moment are probably (as I understand it) hybrids of trumpet and oriental lilies. Seeing as the trumpets and orientals that we buy are already likely to be complete mongrels I don't know where that leaves us. Take your pick of likely grandparents from
        Wikipedia's list.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium
        My money's on lilium candidum, regale and auratum being in there somewhere.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089

Thanks!

I'm familiar with Cardiocrinum, but have been left slightly bemused by the name tree Lily, which some people also seem to apply to Cardiocrinum. So unless Cardiocrinum is stated specifically I guess that I can now assume that a Tree Lily is a "heinz" variety!

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Probably, but will you love it the less for that?
        Most of the decorative lilies we grow are mongrels.

Having read all the hype about tree lilies (Or goliath lilies, or Orienpets, as they are also called) I'm deeply sceptical and will believe it all when I see it. Of course, if I end up with 3 metre high, branched, fragrant Prima Donnas all over my garden I will be highly delighted.

• Like Like x 1
        • domidani

domidani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Hi, I have recently been given 3 Tree Lily Cezanne Bulbs in a 15" pot which have now grown to a height of 4Ft, being new (yet keen) to the 'gardening game' i was unsure as to whether i should re-pot or let them be. If they do need re-potting is there a best time to do it?

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          Let them be for now, especially if they are flowering or near to it. If you think they need it, and 15" sounds like a generous pot, do it when all top growth has died back, so anytime between late October and next April.
          I leave my lilies in the same pots (bucket-sized, mainly) for years. I top up with home made compost in the spring.
          Lilies are amazing - they seem to put up with anything, drought, waterlogging, sun, shade, whatever, and still perform.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            As I mentioned before in another post, I'm not unconvinced the latest fad of "tree lilies" isn't just a marketing idea. I have ordinary Lilies I grow in huge tubs. 1 variety is now well over 8ft annoyingly with another 3 varieties heading past 6ft. They are all Oriental lilies NOT sold as tree lilies. The ones in the photos I've had for 3 years, all have stayed in the tubs since planted. Get no winter protection (not necessary) get a Spring mulch of manure mainly to keep the weeds down and the only thing I do to keep them happy is ensure they never get really dry. To give an idea of just how big these Lilies are the tubs are over 2 ft tall and diameter is 3ft. These barrels are not the tiddly ones most garden centres sell,came direct from a distillery. All are just about to flower, the 1 that I've taken a photo of just beginning to open is Miss Lily, if only you could capture the scent as well as what it looks like. I don't know a Lily which has a more powerful and delicious scent. Maybe they are ones? The photos were not taken for their beauty! just to show how big ordinary Oriental Lilies can grow.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,089
              Ooh ya beauty! As they say in Leicestershire.

They make my lilies look.....kind of........normal.

I'm fascinated to see what can be done if you give them optimum conditions.

I have always kept mine in pots because:
              a.Somebody told me that they wouldn't easily survive in the ground due to slugs, wet, etc.
              b.They are manageable to plant in Spring when they ground may be wet, cold and heavy.
              c.They are flexible and can be moved around to fill gaps, in/out of shade etc.

But maybe I should try some in the ground. I'd be quite happy if most of my garden was a forest of lilies.

I agree with you about the marketing hype, except that one lily this year, a new one not flowered before, has produced extra large trumpet blooms bigger than I've ever had before. I did buy some "giant" lilies last year but I thought they'd failed, it could be one of those making an unexpected resurgence.

• Funny Funny x 1
              • domidani

domidani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +2
                Thank you Madahhlia amd Silu for your comments, i will leave them in the tubs for the time being and take your advice. My concern was that the lilies seem to be getting big very quickly and i wasnt sure whether the tub was big enough to cope with the roots