1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Wisteria: trellis or pin to wall?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Monsclara, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi
    I have a Wisteria on the front of my house (red brick) which I have pinned up as it has grown. I am getting a couple of new ones for the courtyard at the back and I'm wondering if I should buy trellis to train it or just use pins like at the front of the house? The trellis would be handier I think, but looking at the Wisteria at the front I think that it might pull the trellis off the wall when it is established.

Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,704
    More to the point the wisteria will outlive the trellis... No foolproof method of course but I've used metal screw in eyes and heavy guage wire to train mine on. It gives complete freedom and you can make it go anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
      +14
      Andy. I'm thinking along the same lines as I have 3 trellises on their last legs with Virginia Creeper and Clematis. I was just outside measuring up the walls to replace them and was wondering if it makes more sense to have gauge wire like you suggest instead of new trellis. Is there any reason why one would choose trellis over gauge wire for Clematis, Lonicera etc? I think it makes perfect sense to use gauge wire with the Wisteria.

• RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
      +404
      My hubby made a trellis for our Wisteria when we got it and it has wrecked it! I would go with the wire option that Loofah suggested. (I will also be telling hubby about it, so he can replace the trellis :heehee: thanks Loofah)

• Like Like x 1
      • Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
        +14
        RandyRos. Unfortunately I haven't got a hubby to blame:snork: but I think Loofah's advice is good and probably a hell of a lot cheaper

• Like Like x 1
        • Loofah

Ratings:
          +21,704
          Yep, it's a quick fix! and sometimes quite useful; for example I have a trellis between two freestanding posts which would look awful with just wires. Also, you can cut clematis to the ground every year so you have a chance to preserve or replace the trellis.
          When putting up the wires, drill into the brick not the mortar and put in the rawl plugs then screw in the eyes. As the wisteria grows just let it coil itself round the wires, if you force it or add too many turns it may start to do weird things as it thickens up over the years. As we do lol

• Like Like x 1
          • Monsclara

Monsclara Camera shy!

Ratings:
            +14
            Wire, eyes, rawl plugs, brand new masonry drill bit all purchased and sitting on kitchen table. Just waiting for a hubby to turn up:heehee:

• Loofah

Ratings:
            +21,704
            Oh he'll enjoy that lol

• Like Like x 1