Growmore

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Acorn, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Acorn

Acorn Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +10
    I recently purchased a couple of Kilos of Growmore from our local allotment society hut and hit on the idea that - because spreading it on the surface of the ground does not seem to treat a very large area - I would grind it to powder, add it to a bucket of water and stir well. Then the saturated water could be poured direct to the roots of vegies, the bucket topped up again with fresh water and stired (and so on.) Has anyone ever contemplated this method of maximizing the benefit of this product and how does the idea strike the experts that must frequent this forum. Cheers Dave.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    You need X-amount per square yard, so to speak, so diluting it will negate that. However, it obviously helps to get it near to the plant as anything not within range of the plant's roots isn't going to be used (yet).

I put a few (1/3rd or 1/4 of a handful) of chicken poo pellets in the bottom of planting holes when I plant out, and then somewhat later on Growmore supplement around / close to the plants themselves.

3. lykewakewalker

lykewakewalker Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +710
    Agree, you need about 75g per square metre if you are adding it as a supplement after planting and about 100g per square metre for conditioning the soil prior to planting.

Again I do something similar, I usually mix a batch of poultry manure pellets, fresh grass clippings and multi purpose compost in equal parts and put some of that into the planting holes and add Growmore when plants are well established, we all have our own little ways to give plants a good start.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    You can do that: press EDIT and then there is a Delete option :)

EDIT: OK, maybe not, I'm blowed if I can find it now!

EDIT2: Hahaha! Its right under the message, next to "Edit" is ... <DrumRoll!> ... "Delete" :)

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,283
    One of the ideas of using fertilisers such as Growmore is that it's a slow release fertiliser and, therefore, it seems to negate the object if you crush it and make a mixture of it! It's like a trickle feed if you leave it, in granules, on the soil and let the rain/watering dissolve it slowly.

When planting a new plant we put a small amount of Growmore in the hole - mixed around with the soft soil in the hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Acorn

Acorn Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +10
      Hi Kristen......I suspect using Firefox is the reason for my problems uploading files so I reverted to I.E. and was eventually able to delete the duplicted posts. The reason for the duplication in the first place was because (unlike with my previous posts) when I clicked the "Post Reply" button I did not [and still do not] get a message saying the post has been sent sucessfully. Will use I.E. and see what happens. Cheers Dave.