1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Guerrilla Gardening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by OogieBoogie, Jul 25, 2007.

1. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I read Cattwoman's post on land-grabbing ;) with interest. I'm not planning on trying to buy back the land behind my fence as I know it's been tried before. The current owners have no plans to do anything with it and it remains scrubland. It's about 200' x 100' which slims down to 50'. Most is scrub with some trees and shrubs.

I am thinking about removing the nettles on a 50' x 40' patch so I can plant up and make use of it. I figure if I clear it and put in a wildflower meadow, and also plant up my excess seed grown plants, it could become a nice place to look out onto, and somewhere I can experiment. At present all the neighbours have gates into it and most have their compost heaps on that side of the fence. There is wildlife in part of it which I plan to leave well alone.

So, has anyone tried this kind of thing before? Am I mad?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,315
    Hi Oogie
    I haven't done nor heard of anyone doing it but, why not? All you can lose is the time and effort and whatever you plant. The landowners would probably be quite happy with it. As a suggestion - take photos of how bad it looks in case you are accused of removing something rare or worth a lot. I wouldn't take out any trees though.

Good luck.