1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Had an offer

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Jimb0b, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi all, I have been offered a half plot at our local allotments which I'm really pleased about only waited about 2 months I was expecting a year or so.

Is there anything I should look for on the plot itself and any questions I should ask?

Many thanks for you help,

James

• Like Like x 1
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Great stuff. Only took mine on this year but main things to look for..
      Is there water on site? If not, invest in barrels/an ibc tank or 2. Do you have a shed or storage for tools/seeds etc and to sit in when it rains? Greenhouse? Some sites don't allow either. Any big trees in the way of sunlight. Some sites allow for chickens/goats, mine don't sadly. What grows well, what doesn't? Are you allowed fruit trees, we're not. Do you have clubroot/eelworm problem? If so grow resistant varieties. Pests/vermin/antisocial little sh*ts? On site or nearby shop? Do they do the kings seeds allotment scheme order? Kids/family/dogs allowed? What times can you go up there, they like us to be off by dusk. Are you allowed fires.. again we're not and all rubbish needs to be taken off as soon as. Do you have a good supplier of poo/wood chippings that deliver to site?
      Get a camping stove for tea, if allowed! Always good to have a stash of crisps, biscuits and pot noodles there if you stay longer than anticipated. Oh and a compost bin, plastic/camping chair and a first aid kit, site should have one anyways but no harm in having spares. Can't think of anything else.. Have fun with it!

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Some very good pointers above from Linz :goodpost:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
          Ratings:
          +199
          Nice one thanks Linz, I have already visited the site a couple of times as they have open days and BBQs so I have seen what's there already.

Good points about the food and snacks cheers.

I'm compiling a few notes to take with me when I go to look.

James

• Like Like x 1
          • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
            +599
            @Linz's reply is as informative as you can get!!! Kudos :dbgrtmb:

My only suggestion would be to ask if the Field Horsetails (Equisetum arvense) infestation is free or on a lease basis as every bloody allotment seems to have them as 'extras' whether you want them or not! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
              Ratings:
              +6,224
              Ah yes @Mowerman! What invasive weeds do you have is another question! I am so lucky not to have mares tail on our site! Seen it on the entrance to the other half's cousins' site .. didn't mention anything for fear of putting her off!

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
              +599
              You're very wise to not have mentioned the dreaded Horsetail to half cousin ;)

In the fist couple of months of allotment, it looked easy. Then the speedwell arose, followed by chickweed, then sow thistles, Horestails and sheperd's purse in the Sping.

Summertime: more sow thistles (especially prickly type), tiny dockleaves going to seed within days of ripped out of moist soil, greater plantains, creeping thistle, nipplewort in the hundreds, fat hen, creeping cinqufoil (which is remarkably well-behaved) , willowherbs, greater willowherbs, scarlet pimpernel, fox and cub and a Russian vine growing over the shed. To name a few by their common names. Aside from comon being Mallow is the prettiest and most awesome bumble bee meeting place ever seen, this venture has gotten out of control when you work 10 hours+ seven days a week:gaah:

I'm an associate member, helping a relative and will take a few snaps of the alloment from hell. Or heaven for Horsetails. :sofa:There's little difference between them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
              • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                +151
                It's a bit of a geeky thing to do, but may well be helpful.

I recently took on a full plot from a selection, and before I set foot on the land I did an overhead scan of the area using google maps. I then found a website which, by the hour, shows you the path of the sun. This simple tool helped me to determine what areas on the allotment site got most of the available Sun. Which areas were shady and so forth. Once a couple of committee members walked me around, I knew that if an available plot came up in a certain area, it would be perfect.

So something to consider...

Good luck @Jimb0b

• Like Like x 3
                • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                  Ratings:
                  +6,224
                  Oh, bless it does sound a bit of a nightmare! Just looked up shepherds purse, discovered what one of my weeds are :blue thumb: Dock, bindweed, stinging nettle and willowherb are my enemies here, garden and allotment.. does my tits in.

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                    +599
                    Bindweed - that can be serious a nuisance (got it too, forgot to mention.. hedge type BTW) but it doesn't seem to be a problem with only potatoes plants to cling to. The leaves are very small and it doesn't really strangle anything and is deffo hedge variety as has white flowers. Does yours have areas it turns into a complete mess? It is one stubborn sod that can take years to eridicate using every trick of the trade (as you'll know!).

Nettles.... vicious lil buggers but a sign of good soil. Not that it seems any consolation when your arms or legs are covered in insanely itchy bumps for hours after uprooting them :psnp:. The willowherbs... no matter how many you hoe/pull, dig out there is a gazilion more sprouting each day. Keeping 'em at bay is a practically a full time job.

Your allotment is superb BTW and credit where it is due; you certainy know your stuff :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                      Ratings:
                      +6,224
                      Unfortunately, I have a railway line/ banking behind my house (plus the allotment is not that far from it either) and EVERY summer there is hedge bindweed, nettle and willowherb to contend with, the bindweed clings to the back fence and makes its way down to root in my lawn if I'm not on top of it.. and noticed it starting to choke my raspberries on the allotment.. :gaah: so I feel everyone's pain when they mention they have the stuff.

Aw thank you, I do read a lot but there's still a lot to learn (I'm only about 3/4 years into the gardening game!) and still a lot to be done in the lottie/garden :redface:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
                        +151
                        There will always be something new to chew, and there will always be something to do. I think if there was a finish line to gardening we would all put the brakes on to delay that outcome. Thankfully there is no full stop when it comes to learning/growing

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
                          Ratings:
                          +199
                          Hi everyone many thanks for all the advice and comments I viewed 3 plots today and went for the 2nd one.

It has a little shed which needs a new roof, amongst the weeds there are raspberries, strawberries, apples and pairs on cordons, a plum tree (I think or damson), and red and black currants with raised beds in between but not a lot in them as I can see.

James

• Like Like x 3
                          • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                            +599
                            @Jimb0b - good to hear you've settled for a patch. Raised beds and apples and pears on a cordon suggests someone has invested a lot of attention t othe plot. :blue thumb:

You may have hit it lucky...and all the best for your plans. Please make a thread in the allotment section logging you progress. They are not only informative but if you feel overwhelmed or subdued by infestations or menaces of any kind, it keeps up motivation to not only save your crops but go the extra mile to make it look superb. And give @Linz a run for her money :love30:.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                              +599
                              @Linz - Bindweed will take years to kill. Forking up the chunky white rhizomes in the winter is a great way to destroy the 'powerhouse' that is running the machine. If it's hiding amongst hedge roots, not exactly easy though :doh:

Nitrile gauntlets, eye protection, a strong mix of glyphosate and a paint brush are formidable weapons in bindweed eradication and they work wonders. As soon as it appears dead, more pops up out of the ground, but less vigorous. I've spent 2 years reducing an infestation of epic proportions in one particular garden and BW is looking VERY sorry for itself now It still pops up with frail tendrils from undisturbed soil (not sure how!) but a quick massage with a paint brush sends it packing. Then it will reappear in a very poorly state somewhere else. It's a game of patience, even a war of attrition but it can be seriously weakened or beaten..... eventually. :spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 1