1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hail - awful damage from weekend storm... Any advice on how to help recovery?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Engelbert, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all

It's the first year of gardening for me (after a long hiatus). I've got lots of different berries in, some fruit trees, rhubarb, courgettes, sprouting broccoli, various beans. And lots of different herbs.

On Saturday we were hit by a major hailstorm. Stones the size of 10 pence pieces came down so hard that they were hitting the ground and bouncing back up 6 foot+.

I'm sure the cold didn't do my plants any favours. But much worse was the amount of shredding and snapage the plants and leaves have suffered. It was gutting to see a few months of hard work and £200-£300+ obliterated in 20 minutes.

Anyhow, enough of the sob story! I wondered if anyone has any advice as to how I can help my fruit and veg recover. Will any particular plant food/treatment/fertiliser be the most effective? Should I remove shredded leaves or just those that have snapped? Any other advice or words of wisdom?

Would really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Many thanks

Max

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    @Max Dread
    I would tidy up, trim back damaged shoots, remove damaged fruits and put canes in to support things knocked down or bent over and then wait for a week and see how things recover. you may be pleasantly surprised especially if you get a few warm days.
    Although a lot of the berries will have been lost and top fruit damaged the basic framework of the plants should be intact.
    Rhubarb should come back ok next year, sprouting broccoli will be alright if not completely snapped off.
    The fast growing things like courgettes and the beans will put on new growth and flowers over the next few weeks so long as growing tips and stems are intact.
    I would just treat things as normal with regard to feeding and watering.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Cant think any kind of special feeding is going to do much.
    Just let nature take its course.