1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Samhain / Halloween / All Saints eve

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Oct 31, 2012.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    That's it now. The Morrigan is back in charge from midnight. We'd better behave ourselves.

Or there are other equally valid interpretations.

In any case, I hope its been alright for all.

We've got a bucket and a half of sweets left over, probably because it start absolutely tanking it down as soon as it got dark, I reckon that put a lot of the parents off from supervising the kids out and about, hence a fairly low turnout this year.

2. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    None round our house probably for the same reason but we don't tend to get many anyway. Quiet evening.

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Lots of tricky treaters round ours, but we did have the 3 pumpkins, some window decorations and a sign up welcoming them and after a couple of hours we were wiped out :heehee:

I have to say this years sweet munching little horrors (:heehee:) were very, very polite too, even though some were quite old; 13-16 we didn't mind as they made the effort to dress up in the full costumes and as I said were very polite.......a good night all round until the rain spoilt things...:rolleyespink:

4. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Every one we saw were dressed up in Skeleton suits this year.
    No imagination or home made outfits - too cheap from local shops presumably.
    Only GS actually appeared with a Pumpkin, so generally not much effort put in:dunno:

5. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    we're out in the sticks and my kids are the only ones up this road, so we've never had trick or treaters. being pagan it's our biggest sabbat, so we always mark it with a big samhain fire (which we use the embers of to light the house fires) and fireworks. Bed by 10pm tho, cos i'm old and knackered :redface:

6. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Sadly no children up or or down the road. The road is too quiet and the weather wasn't that great. Shame really, as I much prefer Halloween to bonfire night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,740
      It was a public holiday here today ... All Souls Day. We went to the caravan on the river and the town of Silves nearby was heaving at the cemetery and every cop on duty must have been out. There were stalls, mostly selling flower - Chrysanthemums - but other market stalls and you could barely drive through the town. The cemetery was so full of people it was amazing and you couldn't have got in any bar or restaurant in the vicinity unless you had a booking!

We had a lovely afternoon by the river with our Portuguese friends who don't celebrate this day but enjoy the day off and play good Caribbean music! :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
      • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,626
        :blue thumb: Same as Bilbao lots of tricky treaters here too.
        Took my little un out before the rain came.
        He came back with a bucket full of sweets, lots of loose change and 2 boxes of Lego. :blue thumb:
        We got in just before the rain came. We also had banners, pumpkins outside, the rain didn't stop the other kids
        all made a really good effort
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
        • EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
          Ratings:
          +1,089
          Lets scrap bonfire night, Xmas and Easter, and just have Halloween instead.:)

• Like Like x 2
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,284
            We usually get about six visits, from neighbours and known children

Last night the knock on the door, and there were six kids there, did not really recognise any of them as all dressed up ( aged about four to eleven)
            I had to drag a joke or poem out of them, said OK went to get the money and sweets
            and when I got back there were twelve ! and a young couple saying hurry up the bus
            is going in a minute ?
            No idea what all that was about

After that it was just our own Grandchildren turned up with mums and dads

Jack McH

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Bussed in to grab your sweets then Jack.

No one came to the big scary house on the edge of the village (now don't go there children, he's not a wooly liberal like the rest of the village)

• Like Like x 2