1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard fern help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HYDROGEN86, May 3, 2012.

1. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    Hi guys,

i have a hard fern that i planted in some multi-purpose compost last year. Since i potted it in the new compost it has slowly became more and more ill looking :cry3:
    If i dont do something soon i think it may die.
    Do i need to re-pot it into an acid based compost maybe?? i have read that ferns like acidic soil, which i could get a bag but the water PH here is quite high usually over 7, so over time will that not raise the PH of the acid soil if i re-pot it??
    Any help would be great thanks guys

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi H,

I've only found Hard ferns growing in the Welsh mountains, pretty acid soil so you are right.

Re pot into ericaceous compost & only water with rain water:dbgrtmb:

3. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    Cheers Ziggy had not thought about using rain water, im in manchester so im sure the rain here will be corrosive enough hehe :blue thumb:

4. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for being dopey AGAIN....But what's a hard fern please......

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No.3 at the bottom.

From Collins Grasses, Sedges, Rushes & Ferns. 001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      I've planted several ferns in the past couple of months (mainly dryopteris affinis king, and dryopteris felix mas)

these were all small ferns in 9cm pots .... I've been spraying the foilage once a week with a seaweed based fertilizer, and they are growing like crazy ....(some have already doubled in size with loads of new fronds forming)

I never bothered with planting in acidic soil ... and all mine are in full sun (not that we have had much)

not sure if the hardy fern will respond to seaweed likewise?

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      I would check for vine weevel as well just in case, I had a big clay pot I emtied yesterday full of compost I had forgoten what had been growing in it I think ?? maybe a begonia , I emtied the soil I had over 30 vine weavel larvea the only good thing is they are pearly white I put them in a plastic water tray and the robin had them finished off in 5 mins. I know I lost my japanese painted ferns and that was vine weevel two years ago I just didnt realise they liked them they like the fancy stuff not like my tough old King Fern !!!

Spruce

• Like Like x 3
      • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
        Ratings:
        +1,337
        Very good book that, can't pick up a second-hand copy for less that £15-20 now, I keep waiting for my charity shop expeditions to pay off:biggrin:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        It is good, blimey, paid £14/11/9 for mine:snork:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Found one on ebay £5 if anyone interested.....lookedon amazon and they started at £15...

• Like Like x 1
        • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +883
          Have repotted the other day in some new eracious compost, its looking good up to now i shook as much of the old soil off as possible so will see how it goes.
          If it dies Ziggy owes me 1 hard fern :snork: :snork:

• Like Like x 2
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            A hard fern is gonna fall.