1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever bought Poundland roses?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by groundbeetle, Jan 26, 2022.

1. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +438
    Has anyone here had any experience of buying Poundland roses?

On the packets they look tempting, at the moment they have various purple roses, one is a climber, and they also have a red "Paul's Scarlet Climber".

Inside the packets, there is a spindly branch with its roots wrapped in a bit of soil and plastic covering.

For a pound I would take a chance on it not surviving, but am more concerned that it could have diseases that could transmit to my other more expensive roses.

I have had good experience of Poundland seeds, bulbs, and other garden supplies, but I have never bought any of their plants.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,496
      Not a pound but 99p :) . I bought a climbing Rose Paul Scarlet ;) about 8 year ago, the store shut down years ago but I still do have the rose , I thought about removing because its hardy has any scent and only really one flush. But when it is in flower it looks fantastic, I am growing a Tropaeolum speciosum through it now to extend the season.

Here the beauty is :)
      DSC02379.JPG DSC02380.JPG

So it might be worth it for a £1

• Like Like x 9
      • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +611
        Hi that rose bush looks fantastic not all cheap plants are rubbish infact i have bought a few dear plants in the past they never survived long even 2 died within a month rotted away a compete waste of money so dont always presume cheap plants are rubbish

• Agree Agree x 7
        • Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,960
          I have bought a couple of cheap rose plants this year (just to give a go) a couple of quid at most. I have yet to plant them out. If you're a little worried about disease I'd pot them first maybe see how they get on. Good luck :blue thumb:

That's a beauty @Perki :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            Think the key to buying roses like that is to get them as soon as they come into the shops so the roots do not dry out too much.
            Also look for some signs of buds on the cut stems to show its still alive.

Ones that you seen in later months with spindley new growth probably been on the shelves for ages.

When you get them home, unwrap and place the roots in a bucket of tepid water for a few hours, then plant them.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
              +438
              @Perki, that is a beautiful Paul's Scarlet Climber. It is nice to see a photograph of these roses growing in a real garden.

I did buy a Purple Climber. It says on the box 300 to 400 cm. It does look alive, and it looks healthy, it has a shoot on it. Smaller than the roses you buy from nurseries. I will do what Jasmine star suggests, and plant it in a pot.

I have no idea what its name is, the box doesn't say, only "Purple Climber".

Edit: I had a good look at it, and it has three small green shoots on the stems.

• Like Like x 2
                Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
              • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                +438
                @ricki101, I have been looking in Poundland's gardening section a lot, and the roses have only just come in. Mine does have signs of buds on the stems, and it looks alive. I put it in a bucket of water as soon as I got home, and will plant it in a pot tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
                • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +8,496
                  The purple Rose maybe is a Veilchenbleu its a common one found in supermarkets etc .

• groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                  +438
                  @Perki, thanks, I looked up Veilchenbleu, which I thought it might be by the illustration on the box. I just read that Veilchenbleu is a 15 feet high rambler (once flowering, so I will follow your suggestion of planting another climbing plant with it, maybe an annual Ipomoea) with a medium strong scent.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +8,496
                  Sounds like a good idea lots of annuals you can try, also Clematis Viticella are a handy group to grow you treat them like a perennial cutting back down in spring - flower from July - September / October it may flower at a similar time as the rose . They can also be found in pound shops you might be going back to have a gander :heehee: .

Ramblers are pruned different to climbers but you have to establish a frame work before any major pruning is done.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,201
                  @groundbeetle if using a pot suggest you do not be tempted to use a lot of standard peat or non peat compost, they prefer mostly good garden soil or John Innes no3 plus some well rotted garden compost or manure or some Fish,Blood&Bone.

• groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                  +438
                  @ricky101, I used some Westland compost with John Innes, and added bonemeal (for slow release phosphorus) as well as a bit of perlite. (One website says Westland compost with John Innes doesn't contain any green waste, but I am not an expert on composts). I actually really like the Poundland compost that costs £3 for 40 litres, it doesn't say what it contains but I have never found junk in it, used it a lot.

• groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                  +438
                  Does anyone know what the rose is that Poundland are currently selling as "Golden Climber", with a picture of a yellow climbing rose?

It looked really healthy, with fresh shoots. I usually choose roses carefully, to avoid anything that might "nod", wary of big double flowers, and scent is important and preferably not too many that only flower for a few weeks in the year.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,560
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                    +438
                    @Sheal, thanks, yes it does look like the same rose. It is probably a nice rose, it sounds as though it flowers for several months in the summer from June to October and has some fragrance. The flowers do look fully double, so not so good for the bees, and they might be big flowers whose stems aren't strong enough to hold them up properly. I don't know much about this rose's complete profile, whether it is disease resistant, and I read somewhere that yellow roses tend to be more prone to fungal diseases like black spot and mildew. I have a sweet miniature yellow rose, Estrelita de Oro, which does get black spot when my other roses don't. Some roses seem to be just genetically prone to some diseases. I have tried spraying it with Sulphur Rose, and will keep trying because it is a lovely little rose, flowers like stars.