1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Has my Forest Pansy died?!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Anniedb, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Anniedb

Anniedb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

When we moved last year we inherited a garden full of beautiful trees and plants, but we are not gardeners ourselves, so are feeling our way around. Last year at this time our Forest Pansy tree was full of large glossy purple leaves and looking stunning. This spring I waited for the pink flowers that I had read would appear before the leaves, but there were barely any. Just a few pathetic ones clinging to the bark. Then it began to come into leaf, but now the leaves have stopped growing and are very limp and sad looking.

I understand they don't like too cold or wet conditions, so could this be a result of the recent weather? (We live in the south east.) If it doesn't revive this year, is there a chance it could come back next year if the conditions are better? It's really a central focal point of the garden so I'll be gutted if it's gone forever :(

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,126
    Hello and welcome to the forum Annie :)

I have a couple of questions for you first. Is the tree very large? If it growing as a shrub I believe it's possible to cut it back to 2-3ft but wait and see what others say. Is it in the soil or in a container? A photo would help.

3. Anniedb

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply. It's approx 2 or 2.5 metres I would guess, and in the soil. It seems to have gone downhill very quickly. IMG_1500.JPG IMG_1501.JPG

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,126
    Oh that does look bad, sorry I'm unsure what the best thing is to do. That scrambling plant looks like Bryony which is a bit of nasty weed and can smother others, I'd pull it up although I'm not 100% certain of it's ID, perhaps others can verify. It's not responsible for the demise of your Forest pansy but it won't help it recover.

5. Anniedb

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no :( It literally seems to be dying by the hour today. Thank you so much for your comments. Will wait and see if any other advice is offered and pray for a miracle in the meantime! Will also check out Bryony. If you mean the large green leaves it's another tree...but I don't know what it is.

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,126
    Yes that's what I was meaning, if it's another tree then it's nothing to worry about except it seems to be quite close.

7. scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
    +238
    Sorry to say Annie, it is really not a good sign when this happens at this time of year. Normally it is a sign of honey fungus which has attacked the roots. have a look at the base of the tree, often the bark is peeling and it generally looks unhealthy. You may also see white fungal mycelium growth under the bark.
    The larger leaves underneath it is an Abutilon !!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      mine died this year as well , it decided not to grow , it was fine lat year and into the autumn

Very odd

Spruce

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Anniedb

Ratings:
        +0
        I think that might be it then, as the bark at the base is peeling, although I can't see any white growth underneath it. What do I do now then? I understand it gets in through the roots? Will other plants and trees in the garden also have it? It's going to be such a big loss as it also screens us from the neighbour's windows :(( Thank you for naming the other shrub! We have lots of unusual plants as the previous owner was a horticulturalist. It's getting a bit daunting now we've been here a year as we're not sure how to manage it all!
        bark.JPG