1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Have I killed my lawn with too much Solabiol?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Toby Ziegler, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Toby Ziegler

Toby Ziegler Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I am a total newbie gardener. We had some turf laid in April, about 3m by 5m, so only a small lawn.

We've been watering it most nights during dry spells and it seems to have taken root pretty well and I've mown it with a push mower about half a dozen times now.

On a friend's advice, in order to make the lawn greener, last weekend I scattered a load of Solabiol granules on it. Because the stuff was seaweed based I thought there would be no harm in erm, over-generously scattering the granules. Now I think I've killed the garden as there are now big brown patches.

Is there anything I can do to save it? Is watering every night a good idea? IMG_20190807_183435.jpg IMG_20190807_183448.jpg

Attached Files:

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    Welcome to the forum @Toby Ziegler ! Too much of anything is deadly but grass can be very forgiving. Give it a gentle brushing/rake to pull some of the dead away and then keep it at least lightly watered so new growth can fill in. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      I don’t know this product but had a look but can’t see the make up with regards to what it has apart from a description which includes added iron. Seedweed can be applied at a forgiving level, Nitrogen can scorch but iron if applied heavy can blacken the grass too.
      Looking at the second photo it looks black, that’s either too much iron or Nitrogen. I can’t see any details on its NPK or what’s included.
      Manufacturers need to supply more info on their products!
      Are the areas brown or black?
      With granular you need to spread at the given rate which will be on the packet and with granular it needs to be watered in.
      Iron greens up grass and deters moss, normally seaweed contains natural iron but not enough to tackle moss so manufactures add iron to green up the grass.
      Normally if you apply an iron product they state rates and will tell you on top rates the grass may go black but normally this is short lived. Nitrogen burns however take longer to recover.

I would at this point just make sure the grass is still watered and let the blackened grass grow out. Water the area of patches harder if possible.
      Give it 2 weeks to see how it goes. Normally you get away with these mistakes as long as you water.

Word of warning iron stains, if you get iron on the slabs in your lawn you will see them go brown or see brown spots. Iron stains, it’s mighty hard to get rid of it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
      • Toby Ziegler

Toby Ziegler Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks so much for this advice so far.

Yes it looks from the packet (see pic below) the product contains both nitrogen and iron.

I will keep watering ( is every evening ok? Have also heard morning is better so I'm not sure). And also take a rake to it this weekend.

Fingers crossed there is some new growth to replace the scorched bits. Perhaps a bit of grass seed may be necessary to fill in the gaps if not. But I'll come back to the forum for advice on this!

Thanks again!

Screenshot_20190809-074300.png

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,348
          @Liz the pot knows his lawns :dbgrtmb:

The up side is that it should recover :blue thumb:.

Most new gardeners make mistakes but generally not too serious ones. Gardening is a learning curve but the first thing with chemicals is 'always read the label'. :noidea:

Good luck with it :) and don't be afraid to ask us questions - and also join in with discussions and banter in the 'Off Topic' section. It's surprising how wide a range there is to the off topic discussions.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            @shiney thanks :)

Thanks Toby for the picture, that’s great.

• Friendly Friendly x 1