1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Have I missed the bare root window?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clueless1, Mar 30, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I want to make a sort of very loose, informal, mini-maze. The idea is the kids come down off the 2 tier fort/platform thingy, through the newly installed tractor tyre arch, and end up in a sort of informal maze thingy before eventually emerging in the main part of the garden.

I've seen what looks like a good deal on shrubs for this arrangement (the criteria being that it would be formal, so the usual suspects like box and privet are out of the equation), but they are bare root, and I'm not sure if I've missed the window for this year.

What do we think?
    http://www.leadthegoodlife.com/shrubs/flowering-shrubs/all-seasons-shrub-collection.html

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,327
    Probably getting a bit late, but for that price I'd give it a go.
    Nigel

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,935
      If you can still get them, and you will have to water through the summer, if cheap give it a go

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      You can get away with planting just about all year round, I have! The only exception would be roses really. Go for it Clueless, give them a feed when planting and keep them watered when necessary.

• JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,239
      Just remember that Lead the good life have a very poor reputation

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,321
        its late with our warm spring , but this time last year you could easily plant bare root till the end of April .

plenty of water through the summer as very little root so you cant let them dry out as they will struggle, normally the roots would be growing before the leaves appear thats the problem as you will have leaves before roots .

Spruce

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,341
        You could try the old French trick of 'pralin', Clue. Mix up a lovely gungey bucket-full of manure, clay and water to a smooth paste and swish the bare-roots round in it, then plant as normal. It gives the roots really good, instant contact with a growing medium.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,321
          this reminds me of "puddling" plants in with a hose or watering can

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,341
          Yep, 'puddling' with knobs on, Spruce:biggrin: It's especially good on clay soil where it's difficult to get fine soil all round the small, fiddly roots!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I think they have been lifted for some time and will have been hanging about and will be in dire condition ...

No bare-root nursery will lift plants now, so if they were lifting-to-order (as should be the case for bare root) then the nursery would be saying "Sorry, too late for this year".

Plan B? You want some cheap shrubs? What have you got in mind and how big do they need to grow to, eventually, and how big (small!) do you need them to be at the outset?

The things in your link are going to be 6-footers in a decade ...

One thing you probably could buy, cheaply, is Cell-grown - and they would be OK to plant (although in my experience growing them on for a year, in pots, with protection makes a lot of difference to the time taken to get to a decent size). You would be unlikely to get a mixed-set cheaply, more likely to get all-the-same at a better price.

I paid around £1 each for the cell-grown plants I have bought (probably had to buy 50-off to get that price though).

Sorry .. rabbiting on! ... do what sort of plants would be suitable?

• Like Like x 1