1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Have my tree lilies survived the beast from the east?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by symbioss, Mar 3, 2018.

1. symbioss

symbioss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

I planted 9 tree lilies bulbs some time ago in some containers - 3 bulbs in each.

They have got about 2" or so of growth on them now, I moved them into the garage a few days ago prior to being hit by the cold weather (I'm South West based) and did check on them during the day at the height of the blizzards and the soil was cold but not frozen solid. The growth feels a bit soft though - is that normal and what should do now that the worst has passed - do I put them out now or is it better to keep them in the garage a while longer?

Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      We have a lot of tree lilies, about fifteen or more, but they're all in the garden, planted about six inches down and there's no sign of them yet. Which is usual every year
      There can be a problem with frost and freezing weather when there's early growth, with any plants. I'd suggest that as you moved them before it got really cold they could be OK, but I'd keep them in the garage for a week or so until it warms up a bit.

• Like Like x 1
      • symbioss

Ratings:
        +8
        Thanks, they will go in the ground eventually but we are in the midst of a garden re-design so they have large containers as a temporary home. Will keep them in the garage a bit longer

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Yes, they should be fine symbioss.
        Agree with DHR, to keep them in the garage but if day time temperatures are 4 degrees or more I would put them outside and bring them in at night.
        Temperature here is currently around 10 degrees right now but your tree lilies will not want to stay too long in the garage I think :)

• symbioss

Ratings:
        +8
        Thanks for that, I had them outside yesterday and overnight (as it was a staggering 11 degrees bu day and 6 overnight) however its down to 3 or so tonight. What is the lowest temp they will take please as they are in very big containers that have to sack truck back in so if I can now leave them out then all the better! Oh and are the OK with wet weather as looks like we are set a few weeks or rain now - cheers

[​IMG]