have u ever regretted buying a cheap plastic greenhouse?!

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by bubbly, Sep 28, 2005.

1. bubbly

bubbly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a very newbie. I bought a cheap 4 tiers plastic greenhouse from Focus a couple of weeks ago.

What are you supposed to put in it? It's so small. All I have got in there is a chili plant that I bought from Ebay as I'm not brave enough to plant anything myself yet and I have not a clue what else to put in it. I'm starting to regret buying it now. I couldn't resist it when I saw a leaflet through the post to advertised that it was in sales in Focus(only for a certain period of time!).

Also I just don't know when to do the zips up?! When I did, condensation appeared. (sigh!)

Any suggestions?

2. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I had one but it only lasted one winter - the zips broke with constant use and it was so unsteady we had to screw it to a wall. I kept the staging which I've put in my new greenhouse.
    If you get the gardening bug my advice is to save up for a proper greenhouse. There's lots of bargains to be had early in the new year when all the large companies are having sales.

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    I agree with Petal, get a proper one well fix it to the 'base' and you'll have something that will last for years. Mine came from Focus but it was Madleys then. good luck.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've seen the plastic tents and they look less substantial than a kid's wendy house.

For planting and bringing on seedlings and cuttings you can make a solid cold frame from a few bricks and a discarded glazing unit(s) (most council reclycling depots will have some) and it def. won't blow away in gale! You also need a cat screen made from wire or plastic mesh otherwise kitty will make a very comfy sunlounger out of your future prize winners when you have the frame open ;) .

Once you have the bug you can then think about a greenhouse or conservatory. Tomatoes or grape vines etc. need a lot of height and you really need to think about 8ft min. to the apex.

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I got one as well. When it was full of my first ever sowing of seeds, along came the wind and .... !
    So I chained it to the fence but I've never put any plants in it since. Now I use it as a kind of store!!!!!!!

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, I had all these prodlems, blew over, zips broke, whole thing came apart at inopportune moments. It ended up screwed to the wall, trussed up with string to hold it together, and covered with parcel tape holding plastic together. I became quite skilled at mending plastic zips. Having said all that, I managed for 3 years and it was invaluable for germinating seeds and I was able to overwinter some things despite problems with mildew.
    I agree with Frogesque, a cold frame would have been better!
    I am so lucky, I have a greenhouse now, but I still use the staging of the plastic one for overflow seedlings.

7. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    >>Hi, I had all these prodlems, blew over, zips broke, whole thing came apart at inopportune moments. It ended up screwed to the wall, trussed up with string to hold it together, and covered with parcel tape holding plastic together. I became quite skilled at mending plastic zips. Having said all that, I managed for 3 years and it was invaluable for germinating seeds and I was able to overwinter some things despite problems with mildew.<<

You could be talking about my old gardening trousers :D :D :D
    Nik

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,327
  9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Just spilled my tea laughing! This is an excellent board.

10. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  11. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Just lined mine with bubble wrap which was easy to do as you just place it behind the green bars, and now filled it with stuff needing slight protection...so they do have their uses, but if you get 2 - 3 years out of them then you will have done well

12. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
  13. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bubbly if you dont have much spare cash (like me) try looking in the yellow advertiser for a greenhouse.We got ours for �£40 and just cleaned it up with jays fluid.The paper costs �£1.60 at the news agent or you can read it on internet at www.adtrader.co.uk. Good Luck.