1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Have u made a mistake?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    As we live on a corner plot that is surrounded three quarters of the way by privet we made the mistake of having borders around most of the edges .... yes you have guessed correctly now we realise just how hard it is to cut the blooming hedge over those borders!:doh:

Even using a sheet to cover the borders is a royal pain so this year we are rectifying our mistake and returning some of the borders to grass and the other in the side garden to a lovely decking/pot staging.

I'm sure we are not the only ones to make a c*ck-up in the garden, so if you have tell us about it and what you did or intend to do to make things better.Hel.xxx.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,704
    No, no, we're all PERFECT! Never any mistakes in the garden... honest.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Me too <Whistles whilst dodging thunder bolts!>

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Install armoured cable [for pump/fountain], and circulating pipework, before back-filling pond liner marginal area with soil.

Lay drains and any pipes for water-to-greenhouse (and power cable) before making lawns and flower beds, planting hedges, etc. If in doubt run a duct in (with a pull-cord) so you can run cables later.

Make grass paths (through new borders) 50% wider than you think they need to be. Much easier to make narrower, than wider, later. Avoid planting the edge with "low" plants until the beds have had one season and you can better judge the path width.

If you are making a holding-bed for things being lifted from somewhere else in the garden (whilst you re-arrange or whatever) choose somewhere that can be permanent for longer than you ever intended. I've started with good intent, and then changed my mind, and then been lumbered with the plants slap-bang in the middle of the veg patch. I've still got 6 climbing roses there because we still haven't decided how the pergola for them will look, let alone how it will be built, and I have NO idea of WHEN :(

Same thing when digging a hole to get some soil to fill something else in. I can't believe that I dug mine right across where I had planned to make a path - so I couldn't sow the grass last autumn.

Core blimey! how long have you got, I reckon I could go on-and-on ...

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    It's what gardening is all about Hel, we learn from our mistakes - I lost all my fuschias a few years back in the spring, I was hardening them off gradually leaving them outdoors longer and longer - then one evening I completely forgot about them being outside - and of course there was a hard frost that particular night. I lost quite a few that I'd carefully looked after for years :(

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Planting a lavender hedge in entirely the wrong place and then having to put up with it for 2 years while I convince OH that it looks wrong.
    Having the chicken house on the wrong side of the garden, therefore taking up valuable border space (with full sun) but to rectify mistake would be too much work and re-structuring.
    Not planning a herbaceous border properly before deciding on what plants to have!

Yep, the list could get quite long....

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Heres another daft one: Putting the greenhouse at the bottom of a steep slope then watching in horror as the kids hurtle down on their peddle car - I had to put a barrier fence against the greenhouse and a deep flower bed in front of that - as a kind of emergency run off like you see at the side of steep roads. I've moved the greenhouse eventually to the top of the slope.

I reckon we could write a book between us on how not to do things :)

8. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I used to grow many dahlias and would lift my favourite ones in autumn and store them in the shed for winter. One winter, I had a big bonfire and used the opportunity to have a bit of a clear out of the shed. You know, rubbish, old boxes, that kind of thing....

Later on, as I raked over the embers of the bonfire I noticed what looked like small roast potatoes. Yes, I'd cooked my precious dahlia tubers by mistake!

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

:rotfl:

And no matter how much of a good idea it seems like at the time-don`t try and climb a tree to put up a bird feeder when you have had a couple of vinos on a summers evening.

10. TortMad

TortMad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh God, I would be here till next christmas listing all my mistakes, I make lots and never learn from them :lol:

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Flaming weeds on a drive in mid summer for a obsessively organic client. Id made a mental note to avoid the area near the big sized leylandi and even placed a ply board in front.

A sudden freakish gust that must have caught a spark and the damned thing went up like a roman candle!!!!

Only just managed to put it out with the contents of the two fire extinguishers I had in the van, thankfully it was for the long term chop anyway!!

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lol guys I have made a few like you too; Aaron we had a path lined with lavender only it got far too big for it's boots and even clipping it back the lavender still invaded the walkway and that was only a year after planting it so that had to go.

John same here sweetie our greenhouse is on a slope and at the bottom of our gardens it bugged Bob so much he even had visions of little'uns (even though we don't have that variety any more) running into the greenhouse so a fence had to go up!

What got me with the side garden border (where we now intend to build a deck walkway) is that I drew plans for it that we stuck to but it never dawned on me that having a flower border would get in the way of cutting the hedge I was too chuffed with the design to think of the downfalls!:doh:Hel.xxx.