1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you got a spare or unused water timer, please?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Fat Boy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Fat Boy

Fat Boy Guest

Ratings:
    +36
    Have you got a spare or unused water timer, please?
    I'm also looking for one of those multiple water out (manifold?) gadegets as well.
    tm.jpg

I can offer cash or barter for it.

Thank you.
    FB

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    What's the purpose to which you want to put the 4-way?

Would a few Y-connectors achieve the same aim, but cheaper? I find that those 4-ways have to be carefully aligned, and tend to put sideways pressure on the connections, such that they then leak, whereas Y-connectors (lying on the ground, connecting bits of hose together) don't

For water-timers beware that you need strong-ish water pressure for some of them to work properly. Only really an issue if your supply is something like a water butt (and for which there are special low-pressure timers available, but they aint the "norm").

Personally I prefer a "timer" based on water volume, rather than time. But they tend to be quite a lot more expensive. Pretty sure that there are clockwork ones available though, which have a lot less to go wrong than all the electronic gubbins I see on sale!

But if you want "every other night at 6pm for 30 minutes" a clockwork water volume device will be of zero use ...

3. FatBoy

FatBoy Guest

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Kristen,

Many, mnay thanks for your timely tips/advice on both the manifold and the water volume timer. I'll be sure to re-read your advice because it makes so much sense. It's one of those things I need to sleep on as I do my besy thinking then! Many thanks once again, that's a super post, Kristen!

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Hi FB, I said on the other thread I bought my Darlec timer off ebay, I had a search set up so that ebay emailed me when a 'Used, Darlec, Water, Timer' was listed. It would be a good time to search for one now, as it may take a few months before someone lists one secondhand.

• Like Like x 1
    • FatBoy

FatBoy Guest

Ratings:
      +36
      Right on it now, John, thanks!

• Like Like x 1