Hayter Harrier 56 or Honda HRD 536 Mower

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Witterings, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Witterings

Witterings Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've narrowed the choice of a new mower down to 2 - the Hayter Harrier 56 or the Honda HRD 536 ... does anyone have any experience with either of these.

I'm leaning towards the Haytor as I've heard some people saying the Drive goes on the Honda (£500 to repair) but I believe these are people using them professionally so they're getting an awful lot of use. The roller on the Hayter is split which makes it easier to turn and the height adjustment is simpler.

I'm guessing they both give a good cut and in reality the most important thing is reliability and how long they last.

If anybody's got any comments on either would be much appreciated or any that I may have missed that may be better / more reliable.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,280
    I have the Hayter and had its previous model for 26 years. There are three choices and I have the 576B. That's the one with the Electric start.

My previous one had electric start that was good for very many years but was getting getting a little bit dodgy towards the end. It would still start OK by the Recoil pull start but I'm getting a bit too dodgy for that nowadays :old:.

This model doesn't have a pull start at all but the battery system is supposed to be excellent and starts first time. It's a lithium battery and, I imagine, expensive to replace. It takes a full charge from a charger (doesn't charge whilst being used) in 20-60 minutes.

The cut is good, height of blade very easy to adjust and the 'variable speed' takes a bit if getting used to. On the old model the variable speed was a lever on the handle. On this model the speed is controlled by holding the drive bar closer the the handle for a higher speed. To drive on full speed all the time you just hold the two handles together. It took me a couple of hours of cutting to get used to it.

My old one lasted all those years and during the main season it would be used for 4 - 8 hours per week. I gave it away to a professional gardener and he's still using it.

I did have some trouble with it when I first got it. It had a faulty battery connection and an oil leak. They replaced it with a new one. :blue thumb: It took a while to get the exchange because the lockdown had come in by then. :sad:

3. Witterings

Witterings Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about the eletric start, I was just concerned that if it ever failed there was no back up and in teh summer it can be weeks to get a repair done sometimes although the dealers say it's pretty solid.

Interesting your comments on your older one, everybody says that modernn equipment isn't built to the same standard as they were a few years back and now they don't last so long.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,280
    If the electric start went wrong I would soon make sure that there was a quick replacement. The company I bought it from would be able to get a replacement part, or do a repair, quickly. Getting the parts would be only a minor problem as Hayters UK HO is two miles from me. :heehee: The only thing to go wrong is either the battery or the bit it plugs into (technical term) :whistle: