1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing aid experience and recommendation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NigelJ, Aug 14, 2022.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    I'm getting to the point of needing one or more hearing aids; any advice or recommendations.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,686
      Sorry Nigel, none from here as I had mine tested due to balance issues but my hearing is okay. I do wish T'other Half would get one though ... and it is not necessarily selective!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,267
        I've lost about 50% of the hearing in my left ear and have slight tinnitus, developed since I turned 50. Curiously my brother has also developed tinnitus in his left ear since turning 50.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,686
        Sorry to learn that (I was going to say hear that!). I developed Tinnitus last year (age 73) and it is frustrating. I have an ocean in my left ear! I was prescribed
        Betahistine & Flurazine by the ENT Doctor but they didn't help. I was taking Gingko Biloba and may start again with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
          Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,646
          I think I have slight tinnitus, but I tend to hear it when things are dead quiet, mostly I can ignore it atm.

It started recently and I did read that it can be a side effect of the covid vaccine.
          Make of that what you will, more likely years of noisy machinery.

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,373
          I've had tinnitus for years , depending how I feel it can feel overwhelming at times. Hubs has it too, he also has hearing loss and is suppose to wear his aids..but rarely does ( much to my annoyance) :whistle:

I tend to keep the radio on in the background ( even in the garden) and this helps to alleviate the symptoms a tad.

My sister has it quite badly and wears aids ( she also has slight hearing loss too) that emits a very low white noise . She seems happy with them, you won't ever be able to get rid of the noise unfortunately.

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +8,278
          My Grandaughter Kat was born with total deafness, she wears Hearing Aids and gets on fine now.

I would say buy the most expensive ones you can afford NigelJ.

Kat' aids are "tuned" into her mobile phone using a PC by the experts at the Hearing clinic.

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +18,030
            I have no experience of hearing aids but would be interested to read what people write about them since my hearing is not perfect these days, although I can hear most things reasonably well, it's just sometimes I don't quite catch what someone has said.
            I have slight tinnitus but daytime noises seem to drown it out.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,056
            I've got tinnitus just in the left ear, I had an MRI to check what was going on about 10 years ago, the scan didn't show any reason. It's something you have to live with and hearing aids can't help, although things might have moved on now so will be interested in the replies here. Mine was caused by years of driving noisy tractors with no ear defenders, after work my ears used to ring.

My tinnitus is much worse if I'm outside and the wind is blowing, also using power tools even a lawn mower make it worse for a few hours.

My brother has the same problem and being older needs them for hearing loss too. I have had hearing tests and am on the verge, I don't always pick up certain syllables.

The worst situation for me is a noisy room like a restaurant with low ceilings, I can't tune into an individual voice if others are speaking at the same time.

I would have thought hearing centres such as Boots would be a good start.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +14,305
              I was tested and equipped with an NHS aid before moving over here. Dreadful thing! It's just an amplifier, so not selective and no help whatsoever in conversation scenarios. The battery lasts about 3 hours. Don't use it.
              I went the French route in January, as my hearing is getting worse. Macron promised 'free' aids for the less-well-off. Pffff. According to the audiologist I saw, the government are fobbing off the old-style aids like the NHS one as freebies, just to get rid of them. A decent pair of rechargeable, discreet, up-to-date tech ones will cost between €4800 and €6000.
              Depending how bad your hearing is, Nigel, the in-the ear ones aren't sufficient. If possible, best to book an appointment with an audiologist, and then either get the aids via them or go equipped with their report to a High St hearing centre.

• Like Like x 1
              • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                Ratings:
                +28,409
                I have had tinnitus for 20 years or so which is a high pitched whistling sound.
                I do now have hearing aids but even though they were the very expensive private ones (Boots) I don't find them very good. I have had them adjusted numerous times but still not much use. They rattle in the wind, I can't hear high pitched bird song any better with them either which was something lacking and I can't hear the tv any better with them in. I have no experience of others makes or NHS ones. I went for these as they are rechargeable with no fiddly batteries.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,646
                  My sister has the expensive ones from Boots after trying all different kinds.
                  She still doesn't like them and when i go over there to see her there is the usual, stop mumbling, why don't you look in my direction when you're talking, speak normally, remarks before she says, I'm going to put my hearing aids in.
                  She will only wear them when pushed.

• Like Like x 1
                  • pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,646

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                      +7,635
                      My friend who is only 40 got hearing aids this spring to help with her bad tinnitus and slight hearing loss. She was horrified with the idea at first, but now says they changed her life. The tinnitus is nearly gone and even her mental health has improved as she is now feeling more included in social settings where it was hard for her to take part in conversations.

Guess what she'll get for Christmas? This is a deaf Finnish designer who got frustrated with her aids falling out and looking "old". Not any more! :biggrin: DEAFMETAL® kuulokorut | kuulolaitekorut | DEAFMETAL® kuulokorut

No idea what brand her aids are.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Cordy

Cordy Super Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +1,660
                        Had tinnitus for years which mainly I get on with it and ignore

Hearing aids; first I got them supplied from NHS which were OK, then I learned that after 3 years with NHS hearing aids I could ask my GP to refer me to Specsavers - also free - these were much better
                        Ears tested then made up same day, so no waiting, given various options, I prefer the ones that are non adjustable

After about 3 years I went to S/savers for retest
                        It was a quick test and I was given the adjustable ones, and a different type which I am not too chuffed about; no instructions or box
                        Next time I go back to S/savers I will be more cautious and demand a tad better service

• Like Like x 1