1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heated Propagator question???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by xNattyx, Jan 14, 2010.

1. xNattyx

xNattyx Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi i just brought a propagator and most seeds are germinating however i went on holidays and left them for 2 days it wasnt switched on just on windowsill and it was all steamed up and the top of soil was all mouldy and some seeds. i did leave the vents open? and now i have turned it on but after 3 hours it gets steamed up again why is this will it be ok? btw it is a stewards heat and grow propagator
    thankyou

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hard to say if your seeds will be ok depends how bad the mold was. A bit of steam around propagator is ok so long as you opening regularly leave a vent open xhen you away for any time. Copper fungicde ïght helm currrnt seedlings depends what stage seedlings where whrn hit anf how hard.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    It steams up because the temperature inside the propagator is higher than the surrounding air temp. A certain degree of high humidity isn't a bad thing as it prevents plants losing too much water through their leaves.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    The steaming up sounds quite normal. The mould is a bad thing though and may cause your seedlings to die off, you can use the copper fungicide but some seedlings are sensitive to that. So keep your watering down to the bare minimum and don't let the compost get all soggy. The choice of compost is important for propogators, use a soil based seed compost like John Innes Seed Compost especially at this time of year when the seedlings sit inside for weeks. :thumb:

5. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    It shouldn't steam up if turned off unless it is a very sunny windowsill, which I dont think is recommened.

What are you sowing as I wont be sowing in mine until end of February

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Natty - there is nothing wrong if a propagator is steamed up when it is much colder outside. - as others have said.

But remember that if you have a lid on any propagator, there will be very little loss of moisture - so don't overwater it. When sowing my seeds in a propagator, after an intitial watering I won't water them again for two or three weeks. If neccessary I just spray a little moisture onto the plants - I don't pour water on them.