1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heated Propagators - how to get the best use out of them!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by GYO newbie, Mar 19, 2016.

1. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    So this is my second year of GYO. I am really excited. So much so that I bought two small electric propagators.

Last weekend I sowed a variety of seeds and placed the in heated and unheated propagators. The germination in 6 days is fab in both types of propagator.

When should I remove them from the propagators (especially the heated ones)? Bearing in mind I don't have a greenhouse but just plastic growhomes, my space inside is a little limited and living in the North East of England we are still experiencing cold weather.

Going to sow more bits this afternoon, so keen to know how I can best utilise the heated propagators to maximum yield.

Thanks - Ab

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,725
      Its very easy to get carried away with sowing and not take into account what you will do with the seedlings once germinated.
      Most veg, if that is what you are growing, will not want to stay in a propagator for long once germinated, the seedlings will need to be moved to cooler conditions before getting leggy, or perhaps rotting due to the close humid atmosphere.

Probably without a heated greenhouse the best place, at the moment, would be a window sill.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I've got five x 50w variable thermostatically controlled propagators, each with an internal size 530 x 300mm and each capable of holding around thirty 70x70mm square pots each containing an average of at least 15 seeds, producing around 2,250 seedlings to be transplanted into small cell trays, which suddenly increases the space required to around 4 m2, which I can only handle by having a heated greenhouse with a light box, plus an indoor light box and maximising use of these with at least 2 'shifts' per day.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,566
          All seedlings should be removed from the propagator as soon as the first ones show or the heat will make them grow to quickly. Window sills are a good place to grow them on until the temperature improves enough to put them into your grow house.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
            +428
            Hello,

I wasn't aware that the seedlings had to be removed quickly to stop them from growing too quickly.. I know some logical thinking would have saved me some space trouble :rolleyespink: . It's my first year with an electric propagator and after only one week most of my seedlings are actually big enough to take outside! :thud:

Anyway, since it is still rather cold up here, I'd suggest you leave the sowing for another fortnight? By the time the seedlings are big enough to put outside, the weather/temperature should have improved.

Fingers crossed! :)

• Like Like x 1