Heathers. Growing & Caring help needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nigalius, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Gardener

Took early retirement
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi, I live in the NE of Scotland in a mobile home about 1/2 mile from the sea. The soil here is poor and I have most things growing in pots.

I have 23 Heathers, (sorry I have not put photos but can do if required). They are all growing in Ericasious (sp) soil. Facing south. It can be very windy here and cold too but they seem to survive, some better than others. I dont really feed them as my thought is that Heather growing in the wild does not get fed. They have all now been pruned and I have tried to re-shape them. I have some questions, hope its not too many.

When should I have pruned them?
    Should they be fed and if so, what is the best feed?
    Will I have much success growing them in pots (about 15 inch pots)?
    How much watering should I give in the Hot Weather? (Yes, we do get it hot here occasionally)
    Are there any other tips that might help me?
    Does it help to talk to them :snork: (I had to put that one in, hahaha, only joking though.

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,873
    You might want to try adding peat moss, or peat based compost which is acidic in nature (similar to the ericaceous stuff you have them in at the moment) - my mum has a saying "Peat and heather go together" - which of course is true, as you will know when you look at the places that heather grows in the wild.

The areas where heather is seen thriving appear to me to be naturally water retentive, so I suspect that they will be wanting regular watering during summer periods. You might also want to feed occasionally with Sulphate of Iron which should hopefully counteract the nutrients being washed out of the compost by watering.

It is also worth bearing in mind that domestic water tends to contain varying levels of calcium carbonate (more so in hard water areas) - calcium is one of the alkali metals, so the act of watering with mains water could also be reducing the acidity of the compost

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,318
      lightly prune once they have finished flowering be careful not to cut into the old growth , pair of shears are ideal

• Informative Informative x 1