1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hebe Wiri Charm - leaves turning yellow?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JackJJW, Mar 12, 2014.

1. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
    Ratings:
    +1,559
    I just bought a Hebe Wiri Charm and planted it my bed, which gets some direct sun in the middle of the day. The plant looked healthy and had a couple of pink flowers when I bought it (2 - 3 weeks ago). It still looks OK but I noticed the few flowers it had have died back and some of the bottom leaves have either turned yellow or fallen off (which is odd as an evergreen). I can't see many new leaves although the upper branches and main branches still look healthy.

Do you think there's something seriously wrong or is it just stress of being planted out?

I thought it a bit odd that it has flowers now when it's supposed to get them in the summer months. So I wondered if it is likely to have been grown indoors and is suffering a bit of shock from being planted out.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    Hebe's are usually pretty tough and I would say it's going through a settling period. The Hebe hedge that borders mine and my neighbours garden has flowered throughout this mild winter, some dying off and being replaced. I wouldn't worry to much about the flowers dying back, they will probably be replaced as the weather warms up. Although evergreen, they will drop leaves from time to time going through a natural replacement. See how it goes over the next few weeks.

3. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,559
    OK, thank you. I will leave it longer and stop panicking. I've become a right worrier with our garden! I need to chill out :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,789
      +1 for Sheal :) ALso, make sure its bedded in properly so there's no air gaps around the roots. Give it a trim and I'm sure it will be fine and dandy

• JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,559
      Looking at it more closely today, the soil at the base of the plant looked quite dry. I think where I've been watering has been running off and not really getting to the plant, combined with the dry weather I suspect this is the cause of the yellowing leaves at the base. Gave it a good soaking just now. I really hope it takes, it's one of my favourite additions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
      • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,559
        Sorry one other question, it only gets full sun for a couple of hours a day, about midday. Is that enough or does full sun literally mean in full sun all day long? My garden doesn't really have a spot like that. Sorry, I know I'm being impatient and should just wait and see :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        You'll make yourself a nervous wreck Jack! :) The lack of water was probably it's problem, as it's a young plant don't forget to keep an eye on it through the summer months and over the next couple of years until it's roots are well established. Soil dries out very quickly near the surface.

In most cases full sun tends to mean that is what the plant prefers. But as I said earlier Hebe's are tough and yours will cope with the amount it's getting.

• JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,559
        Since watering it last week and a couple of days of rain, it looks much better already this week, so problem solved with a very obvious solution! :D Now my issue is slugs elsewhere, gonna try the beer bath trick.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,594
          Glad to hear your Hebe's improving. :) Now slugs are a whole different ball game, a gardeners nightmare for all of us! :doh: