1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

hedge boundary query

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andrew clarke, Aug 14, 2013.

1. andrew clarke

andrew clarke Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to everyone,
    I wondered if anyone could help me find a solution to a problem I have with my boundary.My boundary is a 6ft concrete wall that is next to a pathway leading to an estate behind my property.I suffer from alot of anti-social behaviour from kids throwing from the pathway at my windows.I want to plant a some hedging that will go right next to my side of the wall.I would like something that would be a solid barrier and grow to about 8-10ft high.The problem is it would have to be planted close to the wall otherwise I would have to dismantle my drive.I am worried about any hedge whose roots would affect the foundation of my wall.It would also be planted ideally near to a garage aswell.I would like any suggestions for a hedging plant that would suit my purposes?

regards
    andy

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Andy. :) Before suggesting any hedging a couple more facts would be helpful please. What is the distance between the wall and your drive? Also, how close would this hedge be to the walls of your house?

3. andrew clarke

andrew clarke Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Sheal,
    There is only a 1 ft wide gap between the wall and my drive.the hedge would be about 6 ft from my house.I would ideally like it to go right up parallel to the wall and if possible fit in a 1 ft wide gap between my wall and garage aswell.

andy

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    A foot is not a lot of room to play with, okay for planting but the spread of most hedges is at least 3ft. Yew is a possibility and it's evergreen, but I must point out that they are poisonous, particularly the berries, so if you have young children you may not want to consider it.

I planted this one four years ago that was 2ft high at the time, it's now 5ft plus and will grow to between 6 and 8ft. It is a more upright growth than most Yews. I don't think the roots will be invasive unlike conifers. The only problem for you would be expense as you would need to plant more, they will also be very expensive if you buy the more mature plants.

If you don't like the Yew there are other upright plants like this you could use. :)

Taxus Bacatta Fastigiata
    Taxus (Yew).JPG

• Like Like x 1