1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hedge Trimming

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by MrsTea, May 18, 2016.

1. MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
    +428
    Hello all,

I know this topic has probably been discussed before, but using search I am either too blind or too much in a hurry to find those discussions.

I witnessed my two allotment neighbours having a little row yesterday evening when I was happily plotting along in my garden. Neighbour 1 was trimming his hedges, when neighbour 2 pointed out that hedges should not be trimmed between March and August. Neighbour 1 stated that as long as you don't cut deep into the hedge, the nesting birds are not bothered.

And this has me confused. What's your opinions on this?

My hedges need trimming, and I was thinking about doing it on the weekend. I'd happily leave it until the end of August though if that's what I have to do?

Thanks,
    Mrs Tea

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,153
    It's illegal to disturb nesting birds and given that it is very difficult to spot nests at this time of year it would just be common sense not to do it now.

Out of interest what hedge is it? Things like Beech are best cut once in late summer anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
      +428
      Hello John,

It is a completely mixed hedge with hawthorn, and I think there is even a maple tree growing in between. There is some holly and lilac. Whoever planted it wasn't really bother about what went in.

I am happy to leave the hedge for now, like I said it doesn't bother me at all that it is growing into the garden. I just became curious when my two neighbours nearly started WW3 over "to cut or not to cut" yesterday evening.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,153
        Sounds like an ideal nesting site

• Agree Agree x 1
        • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
          +428
          Hi John,

I think it is. We have lots of birds around and they next everywhere, even in my shed!

What upsets me is that my hedge, while I won't trim it from the inside, has been cut on the outside that grows into my neighbour's garden - if that makes sense?

Maybe I should approach him and ask him to wait with the next trim until the end of August.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,936
          I've always thought that if you disturb a nesting bird it wouldn't go back to that nest, i know it illegal to disturd nesting birds but it doesn't stop people shooting them :sad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 1