hedges for nesting birds

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by flowerpotty, Mar 19, 2009.

1. flowerpotty

flowerpotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of planting a hedge in the front garden, what is the best type for nesting birds to use. I am thinking of planting a mixed hedge of berberis darwinii, pyracatha and holly for the berries.

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would go for almost anything, but when I was planting, I would also think about pruning the hedge, as three prickly types of plants I know would do my head in when I was pruning it.

Have you thought of a native hedge mix, which is generally Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Field Maple, Hornbeam, and Holly.

Privet is also a good one, and a section of yew, both more evergreen, and not prickly!

Hope this Helps!

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,280
    Hi Flower P I have a Native Hedge In its third year ,Its 40-50ft in length and now 5ft tall,But is very Thorny which is not a problem for me but would be for any Intruder,s and it was very reasonable price wise.I cut mine just once a year in the late Autumn as not to disturb the birds,The birds are always In it and it grows very quickly plus the birds just love the Berries,hope this is some help to you:)

4. Cyril

Cyril Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow thats good for its 3rd yr to :thumb:privet i think i've got and it must have been in when they built the house,80 odd yrs ago so its looking rough now,with the odd gap:(
    [​IMG]
    you can see it a lot clearer in the bottom one.
    [​IMG]
    and thats where my veg plots going right at the back.

5. Cyril

Cyril Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    my hedges look very thin and gappy this time of yr.Could i put some of this Bone Meal i bought yesterday for when i put my Tree Lilies in :scratch: to help them on a bit or would it be a waste of time or will it damage them even more?they have had nothing since i been here !$yrs apart from some sheep poo i had in an old bin floating and but the liquid on the base from time to time.

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
  7. Cyril

Cyril Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    cheers dave i have to do something cos its looking scrawny.I've used this stuff but dont know if i used enough of it???