1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hedychium

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sirius, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,225
    Hi All,

I was in Amsterdam over the weekend, and spent hours at the flower market there. Spent an absolute fortune :snork:
    Most were imulse buys :whistle:

I bought a few Hedychium, some of which look like H gardnerianum, but there is also a red, un-named variety.

The rhizomes look like they should have been planted out a few months ago, but there are plenty of green "eyes" so there is still life in them.

I have never grown any of the ginger family before, so some advice please.
    What is the best way to get them going?
    Ground, pot in greenhouse, or airing cupboard treatment?

How hardy are they likely to be?
    Can they be left outdoors in winter?
    Or do they need to be lifted?

Thanks
    Sirius

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi Sirius ,
    with Hedychium it`s really important that you know the species as some are really hardy and can be left outside in the soil and some other need to be lift up for winter , they are really shy plant and usually will start later , but overall treat them as cannas .
    This year mine are not doing really well , just like the cannas are barely half of the size they should be .

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,002
    I agree with Sal, you really need to ID which species or varieties you have before anyone can say how hardy they might be.
    I've found many flower far too late for me, so I stick with Gardnerianum, Densiflorum,(which is hardy and flowers in August with me), and "Tara" which flowers quite early also.
    I'm sure there are other early flowerers as well.

I have a large pot of Gardnerianum that is only just showing new growth, very late, but I did overwinter it in the green and left the old stems on, its only started moving since I cut the whole plant down.
    I think it might still flower this year as once they start moving not much stops them.

I'd pot up you new plants and grow them in pots for atleast the first year.

4. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,225
    photo.JPG
    Here is a photo of the packaging that the rhizomes came in.

5. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    they look like HEDYCHIUM GARDNERIANUM , it actually quite possible , I both mine at wilkinson years ago , supplied from Holland , they done well in the soil for 2/3 years and then 2010 winter killed them , it maybe was my fault as the soil wasn`t really drained .
    I`ve got 3 type at the moment and one must be a real tropical , didn`t even come out in the first year , then the second year start to flowering in December , but die down before I could see it and at the moment it`s no longer then 4inches .
    I think Pete is absolutle right about , If I will ever buy some more I will only point to early flower species as usually mine are flowering in October , not enough time to enjoy them.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,002
    Yep the yellow one looks like Gardnerianum, not sure on the red but both look good plants.

7. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,225
    Ok,
    Well i am starting them in a bag of damp vermiculite. Indoors but not the airing cupboard.
    When the roots look strong, i will pot them up, for a year at least. And may then try them in the garden if I am brave enough.