1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hedychiums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by windy miller, Jun 22, 2007.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can anyone advise??? The Hedychiums I ordered have arrived, but unfortunately, they haven't got the ellipticum I wanted but have replaced it with a Griffithianum. Is this hardy enough to stay outside or should I leave it in a pot and bring it in??? Ooh, also, would a coronarium be okay to stay out?? We don't get many frosts here and my Tara stayed evergreen this Winter :confused:

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  3. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Walnut [​IMG] [​IMG]
    According to that I'm zone 2-3 and the coronarium should be overwintered indoors...no mention of this blasted griffithianum though...limited info I've found about it googling...will keep trying :rolleyes:

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,995
    Windy, my approach is always the same with new plants, dont leave it out unless you can afford to lose it.
    Our climate is far too unpedictable to say yes or no with many things, so unless I have two, I dont leave it out.
    In many cases the position can make the difference between life or death, if not frost, then rot can be the killer.
    Your own experience is best, so I would say lift it, divide it next year, and leave one bit out. [​IMG]

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete [​IMG]
    Looks like it will be Operation 'Colonize the Summerhouse' this Winter then [​IMG] Which requires much cunning and stealth...as it's currently spawn 3s playhouse [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've put a lot of thought into their positioning...and think I've got the ideal spots for them...only time will tell [​IMG]