1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Helianthus Lemon Queen?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by KevinPH, Oct 11, 2015.

1. KevinPH

KevinPH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I bought a Helianthus Lemon Queen about a year ago after seeing one in a garden I visited (at least that's what I thought it was). Mine is now just coming into flower. Only thing is it doesn't look quite like I was expecting - the flowers seem quite a bit larger, have more petals and are a brighter yellow. Just wondering whether I've been sold the wrong plant?
    IMAG0622.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      It's a Helianthus Kevin but I don't think it's Lemon Queen either, sorry.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,986
        Looks more like H. decapetala.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Agree it doesn't look like the Lemon Queen that I have. Mine is slightly paler and flowers are "tighter". Also mine have been flowering for a good 3 weeks or more so yours is very late to flower?

• KingEdward

KingEdward Gardener

Ratings:
            +67
            I have the same one which was sold as Helianthus 'Monarch', although apparently it isn't the true cultivar 'Monarch'. See the info on Bob Brown's page here: Cotswold Garden Flowers - Encyclopedia
            It's the one described as 'Not Monarch', although the photo seem to have disappeared.

It's a nice plant, but it does spread quickly by long rhizomes and the clumps get very congested - good idea to dig up every few years in the early spring and replant a few bits to thin it out.

Worth getting 'Lemon Queen' as well if you have the space.

• KevinPH

KevinPH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            Thanks for the replies. I agree that it seems to be spreading very quickly - it is now swamping the Eupatorium and Asters that I have nearby. I think it might have to go because of this. Is Lemon Queen likely to be less invasive?

It's not the first time that I've been sold the wrong plant, I bought some Geranium White Ness last year that turned out to be pink!