1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello everyone ...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by helen, Apr 1, 2010.

1. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I am new to this site and new to gardening too !

I'm looking for some ideas and advice about which plants are best suited for outdoors ...(containers)
    I live in an appartment on the 3rd / top floor have a big terrasse ,50m2, which is more or less in full sun all day (when it shines !) and I'd like to have some low maintenance green foliage (even evergreen) plants for decoration but also for extra privacy...
    I had my mind set on Bamboo but I'm worried about their maintenance and buying the wrong type..

The previous tenant left behind an array of plant pots ranging from small to gigantic (all plastic though) all I need now are the right plants to fill them !

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have...

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi & [​IMG] Helen.. Well you could put Phyllotachys bissetti Dwarf bamboo in containers... You would just nned to watch the height & if it wants to blow over maybe tie you pot to something or keep it shorter & thicker.. :wink: Laurels in pots are very nice too.. You can also buy these planters for balconies.. I think they are great..! [​IMG] or you could even make your own with some chain & hooks..!:wink:
    Bay trees Box hedgeing..
    Evergreen clematis if you can provide some support for it to climb.. Cematis Armandii Snowdrift is a beauty but there are many evergreen ones..
    Honeysuckle again it will need to climb trellis or something..
    There are holly hocks, Delphiniums, Rubechias all tall flowering plants & will survive in pots as well...
    :flag: The only thing is you will have to feed & water them regularly if you want good healthy plant & to give you a good show.. :gnthb: I am sure others will be along with ideas though.. Good luck & let us know what you choose.. :thmb:

3. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ! thanks for your ideas... i'm going to have a look around a few gerden centres this week end and see what I can find... I'm not too sure about climbing plants but i'll certainly look out for the others you mentionned...I'll keep you posted with what I find...

thanks again

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I am a huge fan of Euphorbias too, very drought tolerant.. You can aslo look at the perennial plants as well allot of them will do well & of course you could try some Toms & Peppers....:thumb:

5. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
  6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    Hi Helen A warm welcome to Gardeners Corner:)

[​IMG]

7. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Hello to Helen and welcome to GC. enjoy your stay...
    Robert