1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from an absolute beginner

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Signalman, May 22, 2016.

1. Signalman

Signalman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello

I recently moved in to my first house. I've never really taken a big interest in gardening, until now, so I could do with a bit of advice!
    The garden was turfed when we moved in and that's it, it's a blank canvas as such.
    The garden faces west so the sun works its way across during the day. I don't know anything about the soil yet. The house was built on a brownfield site where a factory once was. The builders put a layer of soil down before the turf but I don't know what it's like under that.
    Anyway, I would like to just try and start with a basic flower bed. Ideally I would like some plants that will attract wildlife. I like lavender and would like to plant some herbs too. Sort of cottage garden type flowers I suppose. I was thinking about putting a bed in along the wall at the back. I thought a raised bed would be good but I don't know what opinions are on these. It was mainly for neatness and the fact we have two children and one on the way so I thought it would create a sort of boundary. Also it seems most of the plants I have looked at need well drained soil, how can I achieve this?
    Sorry this has been a long post, I'm looking forward to hearing back.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,306
      Welcome to this very friendly garden forum. I'm sure there are others with more gardening experience than me, but I would say the grass looks nice and green so the soil underneath shouldn't be too bad.

I used to grow just flowers but as my daughter & grandaughter have decided (like some children they are on a piece of elastic) to come and live here I now grow vegetables.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Welcome Signalman. :) Raised beds seem to be very popular at the moment and are a good way of overcoming difficult soil. Looking at your picture there are a lot of straight lines, perhaps it would be better to dig a bed straight into the soil and give it some curves to soften those lines. Having said that I have a two tiered raised bed in a corner of my garden and given some shape something similar could work in the area you refer too......

This is how it looked not to long after it was first built. The bed is now minus the pole that carried overhead electricity cables.
        039.JPG

And how it looked last summer.
        130.JPG

With an ordinary bed climbers would give you height and help to soften the bareness of the brick and 'pencil' type shrubs like my Yew above would have a similar effect. Not a plant I would suggest with youngsters around unless they understand that some plants are poisonous.

Soil type can be helped by digging in compost, manure etc. but may need a bit more work if it's clay. Gardening rules can be bent if you want to have a go at trial and error. :) I have sandy soil which needs compost and nutrients regularly but there are plants growing against the rules. For instance, I have an Azalea which would prefer totally different soil and is thriving. Also roses that are really hungry shrubs, I feed those three times during the growing season. Plant labels/instructions are guidelines, they don't have to be stuck to rigidly so if you want to try a particular plant then do so.

When you get to the point of choosing plants we will be happy to give you a hand on which will work in your garden. :)

• Like Like x 4
        • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +4,586
          Quote of the year. :) :) Well done.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,164
            Hello and welcome to the forum Signalman :)

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi Signalman,

:sign0016:

Welcome to Gardeners Corner :)

I'm sure that with our advice and your " doing " we'll have you ejoying your garden by the end of the Summer.

• Signalman

Signalman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            Thanks for the replies everyone, it's all been helpful and given me some ideas :)

I'm looking forward to making a start.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
              Ratings:
              +7,491