1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Brighton

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by James L, Jun 16, 2009.

1. James L

James L Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello from Brighton.

I registered today hoping to find some friendly advice. I am after a little help in creating a small garden space in the yard attached to the back of the flat my girlfriend and I bought last year.

I really haven't the first clue about gardening, but I've got an outside space of my own to fill and I'm keen to learn! Any ideas on the best place to start posting on these forums for advice would be most welcome.

TIA

/James

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Hi there and Welcome,.

Its nice to meet you.

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
  4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Hi and welcome.

When you say 'yard' do you mean literally a walled in yard, or the American idea that yard = garden?

If it is just a yard, then obviously the cheapest and most practical option is going to be a container garden. Don't make the mistake my mum always makes and go for all sun loving plants, they just don't work in a walled in yard. Loads of shade tolerant stuff on big containers. Maybe a woodland look with lots of ferns, shade tolerant flowers, and a nice hazel tree in big pot for structure and foliage without a big footprint (hazel likes to grow straigh up vertically).

5. James L

James L Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all thanks for the welcome :)

We do indeed have a 'UK' yard, with a hard concrete floor as it's a basement flat (all we could afford at Brighton prices). It has high walls on all sides and is South-Westerly facing getting a good amount of sun in the afternoons.

I was thinking of a container garden rather than trying to break through the concrete, but wasn't really sure of the types of plants that would work well. There is plenty of scope for things want to grow upwards but less for those that want to spread out. One wall of the yard in particular gets a fair few hours of strong sunlight a day and I had wondered if there was potential of putting some kind of trellice that would support a vine (grapes? fruit?).

I guess the best thing for me to do is to post up a thread of my own with some pictures of the space. Rather than bang on about it here.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening James and welcome.:thumb:

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,048
  8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hi James, welcome to GC. Horsham, West Sussex here so not far away from you :)