1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello, I'm from Microsoft......... (scam)

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Fat Controller, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,512
    A friend rang me the other day for advice - her mum has been caught by the scam where someone phones and pretends to be from Microsoft, stating that they have noticed that your PC has a virus, but not to worry and they will get a 'technician' onto it to fix it.

Long story short, her laptop has been rendered unusable (it won't boot directly into Windows), and £230 has been plundered from her bank account. Thankfully, she reported the problem to the bank before the money went, so she will get it back (eventually), but its not the point really.

I am not for having her pay out to have her laptop put right either, as I don't believe it is outwith the scope of my capabilities - therefore I am likely to have the laptop to sort out in the next week or two.

Can anyone offer any insight into what sort of thing this scam uses? I am working on the assumption that I will be able to boot into safe mode and run Malwarebytes (even if I have to rename it to get it to run), or worst case boot to puppy linux or similar and try from there?

Any advance knowledge appreciated.

2. Ilkley Gardeners

Ilkley Gardeners Gardener

Self Employed fixing computers
    Ratings:
    +131
    The version of this scam I am aware of, slightly different to yours I think, is where the bar-stewards rewrite the boot sector thus preventing access to all documents and image files. Could still boot into Windows as I recall.

A possible help prog would be Recuver, from the same nice people who supply CCleaner, also for free.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,512
      Champion - thank you :)

I will bear that in mind when I get my hands on the lappy. I am determined to sort it for her - it grates on me why anyone should be out of pocket as a result of these ne'er-do-wells.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      I think as a starting point, if you can get the hard drive out and mount it on another Linux machine as a secondary, then you should be able to recover all the data without risk of infecting the other machine. The trouble is, if you smash the file allocation table (or whatever its referred to post FAT32 days), anything you do on that machine while that drive is the primary may overwrite data. The OS says 'right, where is there some free space for my virtual memory.. oh the file allocation table says this range is free, I'll write to that', and then the data that was there is gone forever.

Another thing to watch out for, and I've totally forgotten its name, is where they actually infect the Windows kernel. If that happens, safe mode isn't safe, as the very core of Windows is affected. I'm annoyed at myself now because I've totally forgotten the term that would enable you to look it up. If I remember, I'll post again.

• Like Like x 1
      • DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
        +772
        Are you perhaps thinking of DLL hooking?

More than likely the laptops drive/s have been formatted with NTFS.

My guess is that the Kernel (or other DLL files) have been tainted or alternatively one of the sectors on the boot drive have been tampered with to relocate some system calls to the nasty.
        Since ( I assume) the basis of this scam is that Windows is held "captive" until the person pays up, means that one will still have access to Windows so as to be able to run the "fix" once the "ransom" has been payed.
        In the old days, hackers would write nasties that whacked the MBR (Master Boot Record) rendering the OS useless.
        These days they want money so they won't do that.

As @clueless1 has written, don't put the infected drive/s into another Windows machine as it may infect that one too.
        Rather use a Linux machine to try and fix the problem (assuming it's a sector nasty).
        If it's a case of infected Kernel or other DLLs, it will be more of a challenge.

BTW, make sure that whatever Linux machine you use has the NTFS drivers loaded as many flavours (distros) of Linux do not come with the NTFS drivers due to copyright restrictions imposed by Microsoft.
        NTFS drivers for most distros are available as an add on.

• Like Like x 1
        • DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
          +772
          Quickly checked on my Linux box.
          The command you have to run to check for NTFS support is:

cat /proc/filesystems

On some Linux distros, you have to be logged in as "root" to be able to run that.

LinuxSnapshot.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,595
            No, but I've remembered the term.

It's 'rootkit'. Rootkit types of malware prevent their own detection by modifying the operating system itself to simply not list it as existing. They can also modify what the operating system actually does when it thinks its behaving legitimately.

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,512
              The last sick laptop that I was sent had a rootkit type of malware - if I remember correcly, RKill was the solution which I still have knocking about on disc somewhere.

• DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
              +772
              Rootkits use DLL hooking to intercept system calls, modify them then pass them on.
              In this way they can effectively "control" any application that uses that specific DLL, even though each program runs in a separate memory space.

They also effectively hide themselves from any anti-virus software as the anti-virus itself also makes DLL calls.

Unfortunately it's all too easy to hook into a DLL.
              Some anti-virus software can also be fooled by a simple technique where a nasty application can make use of LoadLibraryA and make calls via ordinal numbers instead of calling the DLL function directly by name.

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,512
                Well, these were apparently the least sophisticated scammers going! Within a matter of a few minutes, I had it running (off-line of course), and found that all they had essentially done was to have a Log-Me-In remote session automatically run on startup, then they had disabled the anti-virus, and Superantispyware, then installed CCleaner and ATF Cleaner (apparently to remove any temporary files they created), and that was about it.

I ran Malwarebytes, which found a number of issues and so cleaned them out, then I ran Microsoft Safety Scanner (1 issue found and resolved), and a virus scan (clear), then I had a quick flick into msconfig and put the startup process right, getting shot of their wee nasties, popped it on the network to update the virus definitions, and then installed CCleaner and Defraggler for good measure; a number of Windows updates had been missed, so that was resolved, and as I type it is sitting next to me doing a defrag and running peachy.

Its got Norton Internet Security which is dragging the life out of it, so I have already advised that it should be ripped out by the root at the end of the current subscription, and then replaced with something like ESET.

• Like Like x 3
                • DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
                  +772
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • clueless1

Ratings:
                    +19,595
                    I'm surprised the Norton range still exists. Every spotty teenager in the world can get round that. It was great in its day, around 1990, but has fallen victim to its own success. It became the benchmark that all hackers would aim for.

• Agree Agree x 2