1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Scabious

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by luciusmaximus, Jan 13, 2021.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I bought a yellow flowered Scabious a week or so ago. The pink, blue and white varieties I've grown in the last have preferred moist conditions. The plant label on this one says it likes dry conditions :dunno: Any advice please?

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    My own impression is that they need good drainage, and prefer rather poor soil. Go to the South Downs and you will see wild ones growing in profusion on the chalk, but whenever I've tried them here they've hated my carefully-improved London clay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      Interesting, @luciusmaximus. :) Only "Yellow Scabious" I'm aware of grows in similar conditions to the others you've grown and will happily even grow in clay soil if it's well-drained. :scratch:

Cephalaria gigantea | giant scabious/RHS Gardening

So I'm thinking you may have this one since you mentioned dry conditions?

Scabiosa columbaria subsp. ochroleuca | pale yellow scabious/RHS Gardening

I've never had much luck with scabious but this related plant performed magnificently for me last Summer, bees love it! I just planted that one in MPC with a little grit. I suspect your new scabious will be fine in a similar soil.

Knautia macedonica 'Mars Midget' | Claire Austin

Nick

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        I'm not sure if there is a variety mentioned on the label, I will look tomorrow. Labels on the hardware store plants can often be a bit vague or even non existent :loll::heehee:. I do have a wild scabious in the front garden and that looks after itself mostly. Also have a knautia something or other in back garden border, think its purple. Can't remember it's proper name and lost label.

• Like Like x 1