Hello!/Sunflowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jay, Jun 20, 2005.

1. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself first before I start!! It's been a long time since I had a garden, so I'll probably be picking your brains alot here!

I have a question about dwarf sunflowers - can't seem to find any info on this.. it may sound daft but are you supposed to dead-head them? I've never grown them before.
    Thanks!

2. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi jay, I have planted some dwarf sunflowers myself this year for a change they are no where near flowering yet. Not sure about dead heading them I asumed that you only got the one flower head as you would the larger sunflowers, not much help i'm afraid,looking forward to them flowering though!

3. GardenGerald

GardenGerald Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Dwarf and extra dwarf Sunflowers produce several flowers per plant and range in height from 35cm to 70cm.
    Cut flower Sunflowers are usually between 100cm and 150cm.15 flowers per plant is average.
    Some are described as pollen free, this means a longer vase life as a cut flower.
    It is very important that you know variety you are growing as some are not self branching and have to be pinched out. This is normally done after 5 sets of true leaves.
    I saw a huge range of colours on the trial grounds last year. Watch Sunflowers they are going to be a major player in the cut flower world.
    Best wishes
    Gerald.

4. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, thanks for the replies...
    I bought the sunflower when it had 4 flowers on about 3 weeks ago, the flowers died a couple of days ago but it has bew buds underneath the top set of leaves, so I just assumed I had to cut the old ones off - and did!!