1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello to all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Coffee, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Coffee

Coffee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all, first post for me (obviously).
    I've checked over a few forums and decided to set up shop here.
    I'm gonna need some advice on my 5.5m wide by 20m length of garden. I'm looking at attracting wildlife and growing veg mainly.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      Hello there and welcome to the forum.

Secondly I have to say it's awesome to have someone who wants to feed wildlife and plant veggies instead of conifer trees.

But if we are to help you, a few more Infos would be nice. Do you have pictures of the piece of land you want to make into a garden? From what side does the sun come in? And what specifically do you want to plant?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,640
        Hello @Coffee and welcome to the GC forums.
        I grow plants for wildlife also.

• Like Like x 2
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Coffee, welcome to Gardeners Corner:love30::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,860
            Welcome Coffee to Gardener Corner. You will find a lot of people grow plants for the wildlife and certain plants we have are for bees in particular, we don't get mozzies in this place like we did in our UK property,they were like a plague at times because of the high water table...so here we can have ponds and lots of water butts as our roof is vast. We get a lot of toads here and have a lone baby one at the moment,making a home under a large seed tray. Shame, never seen a frog here...not a pun ....Your'll find your way around no doubt, although I still get lost as a newby.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Coffee

Ratings:
              +7
              Thx to all that have replied.. as a couple of you have mentioned mosquitoes.... What do or did you do to keep them at bay? I don't want to use chemicals btw.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I rely on the Frogs in the pond
              upload_2021-2-15_17-55-22.png

and also the Birds love the taste of Mosquitoes with Blackbirds leading the force. To be honest I rarely have problems with Mosquitoes in the garden. I wouldn't, like you, use chemicals as it would have a disastrous effect on Wildlife.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Coffee

Ratings:
                +7
                Nice looking pond... Mine didn't look anything like that... I did have some pong skippers/skaters in it. I think the algae killed them off tho... Linked pics of mine looking at its best.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  @Coffee

Actually, Coffee, with regard to the planting of your pond it does look like mine, in that there's plenty of plants around the edges for insects and wildlife to shelter:love30::thumbsup: My pond was dug back in '93 in a quiet part of the garden and is around 22' x12' x 3'6" deep with an integrated Bog Garden and with heavy planting of Ferns, Astilbes, Hostas, etc on the banks and a lot of marginal plants. I don't think you have to improve your pond whatsoever, unless you fancy a plant or two here and there, but it's a good looking pond. A little breeze puts the Midges and Mosquitoes down as they don't like winds or breezes.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 2
                  • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,860

Could add some rocks or something else you like perhaps around the right side which is more open in your photos. We added some to ours , well a lot actually, it is not so natural looking as it is part of a patio as well... it can give give planting a backdrop and a good exit for wildlife.
                    Two photos that might give you some ideas, although ours has gold fish in them...
                    thumbnail_004.jpg

thumbnail_005.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +9,233
                      Hello @Coffee and welcome to Gardeners Corner! (I love the name you’ve chosen, by the way!).

As @ARMANDII has said, your pond looks good, especially with the soft planting on one side. You have created a perfect hiding place for both birds and amphibians as they approach the water. Do you have a lot of problems with mozzies? We can have here (we are next to a marsh area, and in a wet summer the mozzie nets over the beds come into their own), but I don’t think that our pond is to blame. Encouraging wildlife means encouraging mozzie-eaters!

One plant that I heard was good at discouraging mosquitoes is Lemon balm. It can be a little invasive, so if you have good soil, I would recommend growing it in a pot, to contain its spread a little. Our soil tends to dampen most invasive plants’ enthusiasm. We have planted lemon balm next to our barrel water feature by the patio, and near the pond. The added advantage is that when we sit by the pond of an evening, the perfect garnish to our G&Ts is to hand!!

The only slight addition I would make to your pond is to maybe put a few stones or gravel on one section of the surround. These act as a heat-sump, and so help the amphibians in spring and autumn - a sort of warming pad for them. So if you have one side that gets the sun, maybe a few pieces of slate, or some skim-stones?
                      Siting a pond on a sloping garden
                      I’ve put the link to the thread on my pond, in case it is of interest to you. Here is a photo from last summer, where you can see the area of stones (in my case granite cobbles in the main).
                      D29083FC-7EF1-4EDB-A76F-A2E66B66991D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
                      • Coffee

Ratings:
                        +7
                        Thx for all the replies, hints and tips so far.
                        (Sian, Armandi, Dianne. (Sorry don't know how to link names).

I'll look into lemon grass, as for my soil I don't know it it's good or bad, but I'm guessing it's it's on the good side tho as it has a good dark colour and has no clay.

My daughter had a sand pit she no longer used, I couldn't seem to shift it on selling sites, as I didn't want to bin it or couldn't give it away it sat there for a couple of year's waiting for me to have a idea for use. As I re-use, recycle where I can I got the idea for the pond after watching Gardner's world.
                        Pic enclosed of old sand pit with lid, you may see the shape now.

I planted some plants (4 types I think (don't ask me what the names are)) in the water last June. One didn't take, the floating ones did ok, till the first frost came then all sank and died, the other didn't do much but is still going today. Only thing left in pond is the grass like plant, duck weed and a bit of algae.

As for the pond it gets 6-8 hours a day sunlight in height of summer, it evaporates alot of water in height of summer. So will top this up this year with water butt water.

I will get some ferns as someone pointed out, they can grow big help shade and may help with evaporation. But I need some plants for the inside of the water I think.... Any ideas of low maintenance ones? Also may invest in a solar pump to help reduce algae, good idea?

I'll post a pic of what the pond looks like with brick's/stones without the wildflowers... I'll also post a pic of a plant I put in 3 locations around the pond to give it some colour although it's black I liked it.
                        I know it needed steps/rocks for wildlife to get in and out and I'm sure I haven't done it correctly... Pointers for the right direction on un-used bricks and slate in my garden to put around this pond would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        @Sian in Belgium, @Coffee

@Sian in Belgium
                        Hi Sian, I hope you and your family are well. Well, my approach to garden is as organic as much as I can get and, hopefully, leave Nature to balance things out. So, I rely on encouraging Hover Flies, Wasps, Dragon and Damsel Flies and I find that the Hover Flies are No.1 Mosquito eaters. Last year I sat by the pond and watched the Hover Flies flying in and out even though there were no Mosquitos around, but they will also take Gnats etc. I also suspect the Pond Water Boatmen skimming across the pond surface also take Mosquito larva when they travel from the bottom of the pond to the surface. The Birds also seem to do a good job of taking insects when coming to drink at the pond.
                        Three sides of the bank are heavily planted with Ferns, Hostas, Astilbe, etc, while the 4th side has the integral Bog Garden running along the length of the pond. There's also a 5' high hedge of Jasmine, Honeysuckle and Clematis running along the garden side of the Bog Garden so all sorts of insects etc use it as shelter.

Are you talking Marginal Plants?, if so Yellow Flag Iris,
                        [​IMG]

Caltha
                        upload_2021-2-17_0-36-43.jpeg

Sedges
                        [​IMG]

and there are many others to consider.

Which means there's too much nutrient in the water so the above plants will help take nutrients out denying algae and duck weed the chance to grow.

In the very first years of my new build House and desert of a garden, the Sand Pit was the Garden:dunno::heehee: I used to come Home from work in the Spring and Summer when there was nothing in the garden to find that my 3 young Daughters had invited about 20 their friends to play in the Sand Pit.........:hate-shocked::runforhills::runforhills::runforhills: It cost me a fortune when the Ice Cream Van arrived, which always seemed to arrive just as I got Home.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +9,233
                          Indeed @ARMANDII !! Let’s hear it for the much-neglected hoverflies! I remember last year how they descended, en mass, when we put out trays of chilli-plants that had aphids on them :thud:

If I understand correctly, I think the sandpit shell is the pond, so the water is very shallow, and will heat up rapidly, encouraging an algae bloom. I would look to plant marginal plants, as there will not be enough for deeper aquatic plants.
                          80120718-6598-4CC1-A299-196BC96C90C7.jpeg
                          The floating water-hyacinths I think I saw in your photos are frost-tender, so you haven’t done anything wrong. We all loose them in the winter, unless we can bring them indoors.

• Like Like x 2
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,482
                            @Coffee welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:

The black grass plant looks like Ophiopogon. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1