1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello.....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Hec, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I live in Barnsley and am finally - after living in my house 7 years - getting to grips with my garden which is larger than I would like - or rather larger than I have time to look after. I have decided to add an allotment area so decided to join a forum to pick brains on what's best and easiest to grow.

2. Nursewhen

Nursewhen Gardener

Configuration management analyst
    Ratings:
    +45
  3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  4. chengjing

chengjing Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Hec welcome to the forum.

As you will be sure to find out yourself it's full of really nice friendly people although there are a few nutters knocking about as long as we keep taking the tablets we do little harm! :D

Quite a few of us on here would be screaming at our screens in disagreement to you saying you have a garden which is larger than you would like....most of us on here would love to be in your shoes and have too much garden I know I would! [​IMG]

Anyhow enjoy your time spent on here hopefully you're get plenty of ideas and helpful tips to get the garden you have wished for.
    Helen.xxx.

7. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
  8. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks everyone for the welcome. I hope to make good use of you all.
    I realised that when I was typing it and I do like it - I just wish I had more time for it - Once it is sorted I am sure I will manage but it was a total wildnerness when I moved in (hadn't been touched for over twenty years) and for the last seven I have been trying to get it sorted bit by bit and just cutting the rest back. (Will try and post some pics later.)

The end is in sight in that I at least have tentative plans for all of it now; and the last 'BIG' bit is just about ready to be lawned. [

9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi hec welcome and enjoy the forum [​IMG] sounds like you moved into a castle :D :D

10. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh No its not that big!

- just big for me as I live alone and work full time so I have everything to look after. [​IMG] [​IMG] poor me! :D

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Can i suggest you grow what my next door neighbour does....dandelions. ;) :D She says its dead easy and the way they try to spread to me I agree. :mad:

12. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Thing is I've had the Dandelion, Dock and bramble look for 5 years and I think its's past its sell by date. They replaced the totally overgrown shrubbery vista that I think must have been in vogue sometime in the 70's and was well vintage.

I am in a bungalow on a south facing steepish slope and there is a garage under my lounge. People that had lived in the area for 10 years before me were amazed to see this as they weren't even aware it existed.

One big advantage though - althought the area is generally quite clayey 20 years on negleted leaf mulch means I have loads of fine crumbly top soil that is a pleasure to work with.

13. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hec. Believe it or not clay can be a good thing if properly treated. (But it's a b****r to dig. I speak from experience).

Yours arthritically