1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help , ants eating my strawberrys and other questions.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by robgil, Jul 3, 2011.

1. robgil

robgil Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I have a strawberry bush (alpine i think) growing out of the top of a bin, it's always full of ants and they are eating my strawberrys.

Also i have another bush in a hanging basket and its got loads of tentacles growing out of it. Can I replant them into pots, do I need to cut them off? Do I just let them hang there?

2. skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think Ziggy mentioned in another post that he managed to get rid of ants in a pot by thoroughly soaking it ~ I don't know if you could use a similar technique to deter the ants. Let me know if it works because I'm being plagued by the little b****rs.

You can't just cut the runners off a parent plant and expect them to root. The way you need to do it is to layer the runners by pinning them to a growing medium at the points where leaves are forming. Not going to be easy if they are in a hanging basket, but not impossible with a little ingenuity. Place a 3in pot at the point of the daughter plant and use a twist of wire to secure it to the surface of the compost. In a couple of weeks it should have rooted, and then you can detach it from the parent plant.

This image ( from the University of Minneapolis ) will give you some idea of what I mean ~

[​IMG]

3. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    skinner is pretty much spot on - ants hate the wet, and since strawberries are 90% water, getting them wet and keeping them that way will be of benefit all round.

4. robgil

robgil Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys, i've dont that with the daughter plants, soon I will have a wall of strawberrys, fingers crossed.
    Interesting point about soaking them, would neem oil help do you think?