1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP. Anybody computer savvy out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silu, Oct 30, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Some sh1t has got hold of my email address and sent a hellish scam email to everybody I know pretty much saying I need money as I'm in Istambul having chemo therapy and been robbed so send money.
    I'm purple with rage as the phone has never stopped ringing with concerned friends and my email in box is bulging.
    Does anybody know how I can send anybody and everybody I have ever emailed to say that I'm firmly in Scotland and luckily in good health?

I am really upset about this and if it is a male who is responsible I would kindly remove all parts of his male anatomy.

It is bad enough that I have been also receiving 100s of emails recently offering me ways of increasing the size and effectiveness of my male appendage plus plenty of females to use it on (I'm a female OAP) but to send my friends an email saying I have cancer is about as low as it gets.

I will change my email address asap once daughter gets home and tells me how to do that.

What a start to a Monday....livid.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    First thing to do is change your password, once you do that they won't have access to it.

Then compose a message, you should see an option by the box where you put in an email address, either cc, send to all or similar.

Click on that and you should get an option to select from your address book :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi,

First off, know what its like, but do not take it personally as its probably all done by remote computers, so it unlikely anyone has attempted to hack you directly.

What is important is not to reply to any of the links or open any of the attachments contained in those mails.

Often many email providers have quiet good Spam filters acting automatically, though you often have some means of adding them yourself.

When your friends and contacts receive those scam mails they likely know its just that, such mails are common place.

Do not know myself, but sure others will tell you how to send a mail to all your 'contacts' in one go, but you need to mention what email program you are using.

If it was me, I would be running some good AV scans etc to ensure no little bugs are on your pc.
      Assume you are using some protection AV and Firewall and regular scans ?

It also sounds like you could use some new email addresses and ditch your current one.
      I find having several the best way, one throwaway type for general use /surfing/ forums, one for more personal contacts and another just for banking.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        What a bummer thing to happen. I have had similar but not as bad as what you’ve described. I am now in the habit of regularly changing my password. Good advice from @ricky101 and @Zigs .

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I think there's some malware that can send mails purporting to be from you to everybody in your address book.

• Like Like x 2
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Thanks so much all for your help and sympathy. I have got hold of BT and actually spoke to someone who could speak English....well he was Irish but I'm used to that twang being married to a paddy:). Oh god the paddy comment is no doubt non PC but I don't care the mood I am in:wallbanging:
            The bast,,d hackers had evidently managed to change my old password and got the security question changed too so I couldn't change the password...good god almighty. Anyway the BT guy was extremely helpful and has manged to change the password his end so the hackers can't get in again.
            Many thanks for good advice @Zigs and @ricky101 I really like the idea of having various email addresses. I think I will do as you suggest.
            Oh I don't know, I hardly ever answer the phone these days and wait for it to go to answer so avoiding most call centres, now email is very much loosing it's attraction as you wade through spam which somehow your computer doesn't seem to filter out as well as it used to.
            All this is not helped by the fact that I am only 1 step on from an abacus:) and find all things computer goes straight over my head!
            This episode has taken up well over 4 hours of my life already. We had a humdinger of a frost last night and I had intended lifting my Dahlias this morning, now I don't have time as need to go out:wallbanging:.:fingers crossed: they will be ok to leave until tomorrow.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              glad you'm getting it sorted Silu :phew:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,203
              Hi,

It can be concerning but if you follow some simple steps you can keep quiet safe.

For extra emails, why not try Googles own Gmail ? you may think uggg.... Google, but with so many users who is going to know you are in there are well ?

Also it remove you from the BT mail accounts and hopefully gives you a clean start.
              Gmail also has some quiet good security options including 2 factor, so a fair bit harder to hack.

You do not mention if you are using any security products on your computer ? - a good suite like Norton makes thinks very simple and secure, just £23 a year from Argos and it covers up to 5 devices including tablets and smart phones.
              Buy Norton Security Deluxe and Utilities 1 Year 5 User at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Laptop and PC software, Laptops and PCs, Technology.

Also think your weakest link might be your daughter if she is active on the usual sites.
              Perhaps give her a totally separate device and email account so any dubious contacts/places she goes to cannot compromise your accounts.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                Might be worth checking your computer for password stealing malware. If that's how it was done you might have simlilar, yet undiscovered problems, eith online banking, Paypal, ebay, Amazon, etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,493
                  I'm definitely not a computer expert but can only go by what I do. I'm also with BT and have no real problems.

You should be able to keep your main account as it is but you can also open sub accounts. I'd be inclined to do that and use different ones for different things. Use one for friends and family, another for forums, another for ebay and the like, and another one for doing banking/paypal etc.

You need to make sure that you have good anti-virus software and there are some good free ones out there (you probably have one already but need to make sure that it updates itself regularly). I have Avast as my free anti-virus software.

As Scrungee says, you need to check for malware. There's a good, free, anti-malware programme called Malwarebytes which is easy to download and easy to use.

One thing you need to do as standard practice is that when you send emails to a group of people you should send them as blind copies. That just means putting their address into the box that starts with Bcc.. That, then, doesn't show the addresses to any of the other recipients.

If I receive an email from anyone that shows all the other people that have been sent the email then I reply to them asking them to send them as blind copies. Otherwise your address is visible to everyone else. They may be people you don't know, don't want to know and don't want them to have your email address.

Other standard practice is to never open an attachment or click on a link unless you're expecting that person to send it to you. If you receive an attachment or link from someone you know, but aren't expecting it, then it's easy enough to send them an email asking them whether they had sent it (don't ask by replying to the one you received).

It may sound complicated but is fairly simple and is a good way of protecting yourself - just in case.

BT should be filtering out a lot of the 'increase the size of your...' messages as they usually have a good filter. If you're receiving them in your Inbox then forward them to [email protected]. I didn't ask you whether you're just looking at your emails at BT itself or whether you download them to a programme on your computer such as Outlook. There are different ways of handling it depending on what you do.

Good luck. :grphg:

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                    Ratings:
                    +49,612
                    Chances are, as has been mentioned above, that you have not been directly hacked but rather your email provider has been hacked. Some email providers are a lot better at screening the spam and nonsense out than others, so you might want to look at a different email provider. The email client on your computer/phone/tablet can also have a bearing on things (again, some are better than others).

The advice to change your email password is also bang on, even if it is only just for a bit of piece of mind.

Were you using any particular device when this happened?

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • silu

Ratings:
                      +8,083
                      Hi everybody, again thanks for all your really good advice. I have changed my email address and going to set up a separate 1 for banking. I had been using Firefox but husband who has same email was using Outlook. Both of us have HP computers but I had a mishap with mine ( I am beginning to think that computers and I are not a marriage made in heaven :snorky:) and post cat managing to tip a whole cup of coffee on my computer I have been using a Apple IPad........badly:).
                      I will ask daughter to download Malwarebytes ( many thanks @shiney and @Scrungee for this). She knows way more about computers than either I or my husband. This feat is not difficult tho.:)Daughter has her own computer and emails etc @ricky101 so can't even blame her. A friend who phoned to make sure the email was a spoof also thinks it likely that it's the provider that has been hacked......all very tedious.
                      However this affair has confirmed to me that I have some very caring pals and likewise on GC lots of excellent help and advice which I am very grateful for:ThankYou:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +31,942
                        BT was hacked back along, not sure how long ago may be 18 months etc was in the news
                        https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwin_Yzh0ZrXAhUBQBoKHbMbB1oQFghEMAI&url=http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/714016/BT-and-Sky-customers-Yahoo-cyberattack-1-000-compensation-each&usg=AOvVaw2swdCzNnqNdGwtElKw3_tc

If you read first line you will read that security question were taken

• Informative Informative x 2
                          Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
                        • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,259
                          I was with BT Yahoo then and what they did was block all access until I had reset the password via the email I received.
                          It was only Yahoo and BT was moving away from them at around the same time. Never had an issue but I would guess people went and added the same password again as that’s a common mistake to make. Never ever have the same password for various online stuff.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,493
                          I've been with BT email ever since internet started. I rarely have any trouble with my email accounts - apart from when I have to deal with their call centre in India! Fortunately that happens rarely.

As they have almost no personal info on me I don't have much of a problem. I'm not signed on to use my non-email BT account (we have two landlines with them). This pees them off considerably and I'm always receiving emails from them saying I should log on to my accounts to view my bills etc. and to sign up to not have paper bills. I always send their emails to their 'phishing at BT' department reporting them as Spam :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Email passwords get changed regularly. :blue thumb: I have to remember to do the change in the right order :scratch:. As I use Outlook I have to make sure that Outlook is not loaded. Then go to my email account at BT and change the password. Then shut down the router, open Outlook, change the passwords and then boot up the router. If I don't do it in that order then Outlook will try and download emails using the old password whilst I'm trying to put in the new one at BT. Then BT will reject it and tell me I have to change my password again.:doh:

I'm now on my 25th change of password (not difficult if it's done in a logical manner).

I purposely don't try to remember other passwords. For social type sites the passwords are in the computer (can always request a change by 'forgotten password'). For banking my passwords are written down (they tell you never to do this :nonofinger:) and hidden in an unlikely place. Even if they did find them - I've encrypted them (encryption is one of my peculiar hobbies :heehee:) and purposely don't try to remember the passwords. So I need to decrypt them each time I want to use them. Most of the time I prefer not to use the internet for banking and have a 24 hour direct line to my banks where I get them to do things for me (I much prefer talking to real people :thumbsup:). I don't mind them asking security questions. Being a suspicious beggar I then log on to my account and check that they have done it properly (don't need any of my encrypted passwords to just check the account - only need them for any transactions).

Paranoid, or what? :snorky:

• Like Like x 1