help for an ailing laburnum

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by adamadamant, Jul 24, 2019.

1. adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning everyone, my first post on this forum, and sorry but I initially posted it in the wrong place on the site!
    My friend has been asking me for some advice. She has a laburnum which is ailing dreadfully, after a good spring. Photos attached. There doesn't seem to be any sign of pests, or fungus, and if she snaps a twig is it still green inside. I suspect it is suffering as a result of last year's drought, but I would welcome any other thoughts. Also I dont know what to advise her to do if it is in severe stress. Can anyone help? Also although I havent seen the laburnum, looking at the photos it looks as though it's between a rock and a hard place anyway, ie near both a wall and a building, so would struggle for water at the best of times?

Attached Files:

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Personally I think that it is less ailing and more dead. Laburnum can give up the ghost for no apparent reason.
    What direction is it facing and where in the country is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,325
      Yeah, looks dead to me also.

• adamadamant

Ratings:
      +0
      Ah, thanks, I didnt know laburnums were liable to die suddently. Even though there is green inside? It is in SW London but sorry dont know which direction it's facing. Do you have any suggestions, in case it is just stressed, of how best to treat it?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,325
      Well, I dont know about sudden death but it looks pretty dead to me.
      A few trees/ large shrubs around here have failed to get away properly this year, not sure, but i'm putting it down to last summers drought.
      Anything that was perhaps struggling a bit seems to have succumbed, and given up the ghost this year.:smile:

Not sure what you mean by green inside?
      Laburnum has very light sap wood and very dark heart wood, that is normal.
      Even when dead.

• adamadamant

Ratings:
      +0
      Ah thanks Pete. I didnt know about the heartwood/sap - my friend just said there was life/green
      in the twig she snapped but she might be wrong. I appreciate the help.