1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help garden being eaten alive!!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Katherine, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Katherine

Katherine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all I’m a new gardener and having a lot of lovely new plants have been watching in dismay as they’re being chomped away. I initially thought it was slugs and put 2 lots of nematodes down but no help... and perhaps the damage is too high up? Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Katherine

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
    Anyone think it might be vine weevil?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,765
      Looks pretty much like it..looks like my Laurel at times...I tend not to stress too much about them..they are pests and I have lost plants over the years but as the plant gets more mature I rarely see a lot of real damage...Maybe frogs and birds and other night creatures are keeping an eye on them now lol...Gardening....Its a war out there

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,343
      Yep! Classic munching round the edges. Ansd then those disgusting white grubs in the soil

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,990
      Yep, you can shrug Vine Weevil off in garden plants, but you need to control them in pot plants that you might want to overwinter.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Vine weevil for sure and quite an infestation; snails I think are having a munch too.
      Katherine, nematodes dont work on snails.
      I suggest you go out after dark with a torch and look for adult weevils as well as snails.
      To break the cycle of weevil production, apply nematodes or Provado insecticide to kill the larvae. :smile:
      Oh! Welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
      • ZeroZero

ZeroZero Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        If your new to gardening you may not realise that it is war out there. Behind every beautiful garden is a hoard of maurading monsters that would devour it whole. All plants more or less get attacked, they loose leaves, get chomped over shadowed by bigger plants, or succumob to various diseases. It will be a constant battle, but hey that is OK for a show of flowers is worth it all - really. Keep strong hold hte faith