1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! How do I open an MS Word 2007 .docx file?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by frogesque, Feb 16, 2007.

1. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Without spending a fortune on upgrading MS bloatware?

Getting very frustrated by MS and their tricks, is there a simple freeware file reader available? I've been searching for over an hour and just seem to be going round in circles.

2. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the new upcoming format for Microsoft Office documents. It is a combination of XML architecture and ZIP compression for size reduction. Microsoft promises the format will be open (published for anyone to use) and prior versions of Office, using components provided by Microsoft for Office 2000, XP, and 2003 will be available to perform document conversion.

You can use This web page to convert your .docx to doc, and i believe its free.

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks PC! I did eventually manage to resolve the issue (which will frustrate a lot more people as time progresses) by downloading a gismo from Microsoft that allows old versions of Word or MS Office to view and edit docx files.

Open a Word 2007 document in an earlier version of Word

4. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Open Office will handle most things, many of them I have never heard of although I have been running a computer group for 18+ years.

It's FREE as well. I have now ditched MS Windows and gone over to GNU/Linux (Ubuntu), that is free as well. Bought a new 250GB HDD yesterday from PC World (�£54.99, our local computer store is charging �£79.00)