1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help identifying a tree please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by BeckyGF, Aug 1, 2013.

1. BeckyGF

BeckyGF Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We bought our first house last year, and there is a tree in the back garden which seems to have grown quite a lot since last year. It looks like it may have been pruned by the previous owner, but I can't be certain. It is deciduous, has white blossom in the spring, and the leaves go a beautiful bright red/orange in the autumn. It is quite unusual in that the blossom and leaves are very close to the branches, and there aren't many branches. It doesn't bush out with lots of small branches like lots of other trees do.

Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be much appreciated!

P.S. Bonus points for spotting the black cat! :cat-kittyandsmiley:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Looks like a Prunus of some sort to me. Cherry? Any fruits forming?

Although its quite upright, and the leaves are quite large (for an ornamental cherry)

3. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,167
    Could it be a cooking Cherry Kristen. How large are Morello cherry leaves? Lovely condition it's in,
    Jenny
    ps cat's head is pointing towards the tree - what's puss's name please?

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Mine is covered in fruits, ready to pick, now ... so I'd expect to see fruits on it I think ?

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought some sort of Beam at first, but the shape is more Prunus.

6. BeckyGF

Ratings:
    +2
    We've not had any fruits before, certainly doesn't look like there is any sign of them at the moment I'm afraid... it's really got me puzzled! I know that the previous owner got a lot of plants from Grasslands Nursery which is only 20 mins away (also known online as Shrubs Direct), but unfortunately there isn't a tag on this one - bloomin' typical! I had a look around last time I was there and couldn't see anything similar, but I could always ask if it was something they once stocked.

I'm not sure! It's a girl and she is very friendly, although her long coat is all matted up and she feels quite thin. I'm pretty sure she belongs to the white house at the back but their house is on a different road to ours so I've never met them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'm 30 miles from my books at the moment, i'll have another look when I make it back:)

Village where I used to live was a nightmare for tree id's, it was home to Scott's Nurseries, too many varieties:biggrin:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Worth taking a close up of the flowers next Spring, more likely someone can identify it from those.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,532
      My first thought was cherry, but there are loads of them.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,494
      It could be a Sorbus. Were the flowers in clusters Becky?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I think there would be clusters of berries forming / visible now?

• BeckyGF

Ratings:
      +2
      That's a very good point! I wish I'd taken photos this spring, but I was mostly laid up with a bad back and didn't think about it :oopss:

No clusters, they grew very close to the wood all the way along each branch. We also haven't had any berries, and there's no sign of them at the moment.

After the suggestion of prunus I was looking through some photos on Google image search yesterday and some of the photos looked pretty similar in terms of the leaves and overall shape, but there are a lot to look through! Thanks so much for all the help with this!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Had a look thru my big tree book, still none the wiser.:doh:

• BeckyGF

Ratings:
      +2
      D'oh! Thanks for looking though, zigs. I'm really struggling too, I'm going to try asking at the nursery that it probably came from, and if I have no luck with that then I'll wait until next year when I can see the blossoms.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        I'd go for Prunus as well. It could be a flowering cherry rather than a fruiting cherry or there could be a number of reasons why it's not flowering.

I have a young fruiting cherry called 'Stella' in the front garden which looks very similar.