1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help identifying pest on indoor palm

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by DD8, May 3, 2020.

1. DD8

DD8 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've found these under the leaves of my indoor palm, not sure if these are two type of pests or young/mature of the same one. Both the long brown ones and the small dark ones easily scraped off. Thought it might be scale however it looks different from the types of scale I've encountered so far (and no sap/stickiness).
    The palm leaves have been turning yellow lately, I suspect it might be due to the pest? Otherwise suggestions welcome. Pics below. Thanks!

IMG_0752.PNG IMG_0754.jpg IMG_0753.PNG IMG_0749.JPG IMG_0755.PNG

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,151
    You'l need to get a magnifying glass to properly see those. My guess is scale insects.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Have you checked to see any webbing as you might have spider mites,as they feed chlorophyll disappears causing a stippled appearence eventually the leaaves turn yellow dry up and drop off

Also how often do you water cause if the plant leaves are brown,withering or falling off it could also be a problem with underwatering so water often a strong heather palm is able to survice a mite infestation

• DD8

DD8 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi, thanks for the replies. Yeah no webbing so doesn't seem to be spider mites. My guess is scale, just wasn't sure about the small dark ones but they're probably young ones. Will try treating it accordingly..

As for water, been watering it once a week for several years and it's been doing great, the yellowing started in the last weeks, no change in watering. Will try repotting it with some compost though in case it's a nutrients issue.

Thanks!

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Would suggest you avoid repotting, it might not like such root distubrance, causing it more harm.

If you feel its a nutrient problem then just give it balanced liquid feed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • DD8

DD8 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Ok, thanks for the advice. Will look for a liquid feed instead :)