Help identifying plants and their care

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by JosephK, Mar 25, 2016.

1. JosephK

JosephK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hello!

Completely new to gardening but want to get stuck in this year.

At the front of my house I have a small patch of soil with plants in it. The big one is a type of fir tree (I think) and then there are a few plants around it (maybe weeds!). I'll attach images.

I'd like to know what the plants are and how I should care for them / what needs removed. For example, the "fir tree". I assume I need to prune it, but don't know how to or wht time of year to do it. I realise its an overgrown mess but don't want to kill the plants!

Thank you for any help or advice!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +13,963
      Hi JosephK, You could be in luck with the conifer! If it's a Thuja, which it looks very like, then you can shear it all over to shape / reduce it, and it will stay looking good. Don't go too mad, though, as most conifers don't re-grow if cut very hard back to old wood. Underneath it looks as though you've got Pieris and Vinca minor (periwinkle). Does the small shrub have red new growth in Spring? It will probably struggle being planted so close to the conifer, so a big canful of diluted Miracle-Gro Ericaceous feed will do wonders for it. The Vinca is indestructible and makes a good, evergreen ground cover with blue, purple or white flowers. HTH

• Like Like x 1
      • JosephK

Ratings:
        +6
        Thank you so much for the reply! This is a HUGE help to me. I'm very grateful.

When shearing the conifer, do I just trim it so it looks neater? And when can I do that?

I'll Google Pieris and Vinca Minor to see which is which :) I'm not sure about the red growth (I inherited the plants amd my first Spring!). I'll do the Miracle-Gro problem. Do they need tended to or do you leave them alone once fed?

• JosephK

Ratings:
        +6
        PS Does this sound like what I need to feed the Pieris?

Miracle-Gro Azalea, Camellia & Rhododendron Soluble Plant Food Is Specially Formulated For Ericaceous, Acid-Loving Or Lime-Hating Plants.

• Like Like x 1
        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi Joseph,

Welcome to Gardeners Corner :)

That would be good for the Pieris, but, if it were me I would see how it goes for the next few months as the conifer will keep the soil fairly acid with it's dropped needles. All you have to do is gently dig them into the soil around the Pieris.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • JosephK

Ratings:
            +6
            Thanks Anthony! I'll do that. I willtry to tidy up the patch, trim the conifer and post a new photo when done!

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +13,963
            Hello again, Joseph (??? just noticed that you're a girlie:biggrin:). Sorry I didn't respond earlier...I keep getting logged out for some reason!
            I was thinking that the conifer roots would be taking most of the goodness out of the soil as well as making it very dry, so a weak solution of the MiracleGro would help it along. As long as the leaves don't turn yellow, you could probably get by with just watering with soft water through the summer. You don't need to do anything to the Vinca except chop it back whenever it exceeds it's space:) The ultimate easy-care plant!

• Like Like x 1
            • JosephK

Ratings:
              +6
              Yes, long story short, my son set me up on facebook and thought it would be funny to put me as female. I don't know how to change it so am stuck with it!!!!

Today I spotted a purple flower on the Vinca!

Can I ask, the conifer, one of the branches is longer than the others. Do I just cut it anywhere along the branch to shape it?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Sorted :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
              • JosephK

Ratings:
                +6
                Thank you so much!!!! Can you sort out my son for me too? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Might have to after seeing the email he set up for you too :doh:

Wait till he goes away for the weekend, damp down his pillow and sprinkle cress seeds on it :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • JosephK

Ratings:
                    +6
                    Hello,

Back again for more advice after the success of my first post. Nothing died when I trimmed it and it looks so much better.

I have a tree and a few more plants that I don't know what they are or what to do with them.

The tree (images 1 and 2) is quite big and I'm worried it will become too big and a nuisance to neighbours. I thought about cutting the top off, but now think that's a no-no. Does anyone know what type of tree it is, how tall it will grow and how to manage it. Should I be cutting off branches for example or trimming it somehow?

The other plants (3, 4 and 5) are overgrown and I'm looking for advice on what they are, how to trim them without killing them and how to manage them better. Number 5 in particular is quite low lying, but seems to be growing in all directions and looks ratty.

All are growing in very clay soil.

Thank you!

bush3.jpg bush2.jpg bush1.jpg treeleaves.jpg tree.jpg

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,317
                    Unfortunately it's difficult to identify plants at a distance in pictures @JosephK Could you give us close ups of leaves and any flowers please. :)

• Agree Agree x 1