1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help me hide a fence, please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Suchmo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Suchmo

Suchmo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I recently moved in to a new house. At the bottom of the garden is a 5 foot wooden fence owned by the neighbour. In front of that is an ugly concrete and wire boundary fence. Just behind the wooden fence is an ash tree which means the bottom of my garden is raised up and does get a huge amount of light. My plan is to attach trellis to the ugly wire fence and grow something evergreen up the trellis to entirely cover it.

Suggestions on what I could grow relatively quickly and cheaply would be greatly appreciated as I have never owned a garden. Any other advice would also be welcome.

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Welcome to GC, Suchmo :sign0016:

One word of caution about any plant which grows relatively quickly; you'll need to trim it relatively often :blue thumb:

I'm disguising my ugly rear fence with a passionflower (vigorous grown, semi-evergreen) and pyracantha (slower growing, evergreen and prickly, so anti burglar ish).

I'm sure others with more experience will be along to offer their advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • stacym

stacym Gardener

Ratings:
      +44
      So am I mum the rear fence has a passion flower, the side fence has a few cleamatis, and the one out the front that is going up next week I have got a winter and a summer jasmine to plant and train along it. Oh and I have 2 honeysuckles and a montana clematis on the back fences too. I do love a climber.

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        You forgot the mile-a-minute plant :heehee:

• stacym

stacym Gardener

Ratings:
        +44
        Lol that thing is gonna have a severe dose of round up its only taken a couple of weeks and there are loads of brambles under it I have just noticed so don't wanna go yanking it again.

• Like Like x 1
        • Suchmo

Ratings:
          +0
          Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions/advice for the complete novice? How should I plant it and maintain it?

• stacym

stacym Gardener

Ratings:
          +44
          I'm a novice too so prob not best to give advice but I do know that clematis like to have their roots in the shade so when planting them bury the roots further than other plants and put other plants around them. You will need to put a trellis up for them to climb up. My honey suckle is travelling nicely along my fence I just go out and attach any loose shoots back to the trellis in the direction I want them to go in. Mine has all been guess work and asking on here so I'm sure some of the more experienced gardeners will be able to give you more advice :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,541
          I don't want to sound patronising but you all seem to be doing okay here, so I'll be off. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

• Suchmo

Ratings:
            +0
            Thanks everyone. From your advice I think I may go with clematis or passionflower run up a trellis. Any other advice would still be appreciated. What kind of timeframe am I looking at before I wll see some results? When would be best to plant?

• Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,631
            Winter Jasmine as mentioned above is so cheerful in wintertime.
            Just a few more suggestions - Trumpet vine, which is fast grower with beautiful orange trumpet shaped flowers - Chocolate Vine with purplish-pink flowers - for a good evergreen there's Ivy which is a great climb and hide plant and the Virginia creeper with its lovely autumnal colours.

• Suchmo

Ratings:
            +0
            I just realised that I should've said that the end of my garden DOESN'T get a huge amount of sunlight. Silly me. Are the previous suggestions still valid? When should I plant the passionflower and/or clematis and to roughly what timescalecan I expect results? Thanks again.

• Suchmo

Ratings:
            +0
          • Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,631
            Hi Suchmo - Trumpet vine requires full sun to partial shade, Chocolate vine full sun but is also shade tolerant.
            Clematis can be planted in spring and autumn - Passion flower are usually planted in early spring. Hope that helps in deciding what to choose.

• Suchmo

Ratings:
            +0
            Thanks Anne. One last question: my back fence has ivy growing on the other side and creeping through. Will this crowd out the clematis and passion flower? Should I give in and just plant ivy on my side too. Also, can the clematus and passionflower be planted together along the same stretch?