1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My Chili plant has... *not sure*

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by busybeeburns, Aug 22, 2008.

1. busybeeburns

busybeeburns Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, new member here, and I have a question!

I bought a chili plant for the first time from B&Q last year, and it reaped loads of chilis, many of which are still in my freezer. However I'm not sure what has happened to the same plant this year. Here is the chronology:

1) Plant dies out last winter;
    2) I leave the pot with the cane intact, not knowing whether it will re-grow or not;
    3) I notice early spring this year something growing on the previous chili plant stump, so I leave it thinking it's alright;
    3) Pot has stood in same place until this summer, where I find this is happening to it (see pic - ignore the background rose and foreground hosta);
    4) Trouble is, its a very pretty plant but it doesn't look like my chili plant! Is it still a chili plant or am I waiting for chilis that will never appear? If so, what has happened?!

Yours, confused gardener...

[​IMG]

2. biker

biker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Random seeded Fuchsia? Chili plants are tender here so die off outdoors. Pretty, though not what you expected ... :)

biker

3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    well unless you've made horticultural history I don't think that fushia grew off the same stump:D LOL

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    But it's a very NICE Fuscia :)

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,227
    Chillies are perrenial evergreens but not hardy. If you want to keep your chilli plants for the following year they need to be in a heated greenhouse or indoors. If you keep them indoors they need plenty of light.

You can plant that fuschia anywhere in your garden and it should do well :thumb: :D

6. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We bring our chili plants in from early autumn to late spring, and keep them in the conservatory. We get a better crop 2nd year, even though we get a massive crop in first year!