Help my grass!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Whitehawk, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Whitehawk

Whitehawk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello. Newbie here

Attached should be a photo of our turf that was laid about 6 weeks ago.

It looked great after its first cut with a flymo on the highest setting but I've now got a stripe effect and it's not just the direction of the grass. I did use a spreader with some evergreen which from reading the pack was just an iron feed to promote a green lawn and other than that it's just been a weekly cut.

I'm watering it now as it's very humid and dry outside.

Some of the grass shoots also appear to be cased in a white surround. Is this just a type of seed grass?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,309
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Whitehawk. :)

Can I be brutal and say, any gardener who wants a decent lawn will not use a Flymo. They tend to scalp and tear the grass and really are only useful for mowing banks. A rotary or cylinder mower is best.

I don't feed any new lawn in it's first year as it needs to establish in it's own time. Feeding promotes growth and being young it could outgrow it's strength and become straggly and thin. There should be enough nutrients in the soil to maintain it while it's young.

Try to water the lawn as late as possible in the day, this will help to avoid burning from the sun through magnification and reduce evaporation.

All grass like any other plant grows from seed. Most seed mixtures whether for direct sowing or growing turf are a mixture of different types, this is because lawns are used for different purposes and some need to stand up to tougher use than others, ie a bowling green or perhaps a football pitch. So, some of the seed in your lawn will show seed heads because it is growing at a different rate to the other grasses.

Try not to cut your lawn to short this year while it is still young and I think you'll find if you change your lawn mower you will get a better cut. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Whitehawk

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks. I have a B&Q nearby. I'll take a look at the mowers. Any particular one recommended ?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,309
      It depends on whether you want an electric or motor mower. :)

• Tingting44

Tingting44 Gardener

FLT driver
      Ratings:
      +215
      • Like Like x 1
      • Whitehawk

Ratings:
        +3

Thanks. I went for the smaller beast, the 37 for £90. Hopefully just as good. Amazon says 1-3 weeks for delivery but it's arriving tomorrow which has only been 1 working day since I ordered so I get to try it out a lot sooner than I thought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SBN0OBS/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

• Like Like x 2
        • Tingting44

Tingting44 Gardener

FLT driver
          Ratings:
          +215
          great stuff mate!! look forward to seeing how you get on, i love bosch garden products :) i also got the bosch strimmer for £23 pound and its so nice to use, even when the line breaks it has a button to push out more line and an auto cutter to cut it to the correct lengths :)

also i have the same sprinkler as you :)

good luck mate