Help needed, new bed with deer proof plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by blue fingers, Feb 29, 2012.

1. blue fingers

blue fingers Apprentice Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I have been assigned to create a new bed (size 17 x 37 feet) in a large fenced off woodland garden, however, the deer are still getting in and munching other plants in the other beds. Can anyone suggest any plants, Herbaceous, shrubs etc that deer tend to ignore and won't munch on? Thanks in advance.

Blue Fingers

2. moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
    +242
    No is the reply here,
    I live with deer all around our home and the answer to your question is high fencing and shut gates (always)

Deer could'nt give a toss about the cost of the plants "cheap or costly or Deer "bum bum":loll:

to them its a bit more taste.

The first thing i did when turning what was rough ground into whats now our garden was to ensure the area was fenced off using wire fencing and then the inside of this was planted with (in our case Laurel due to the cost of a 2 acre garden to deal with) And the fact we have dogs also helps the deer to know the danger to them signs.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Gorse?

Seriously, that's the only thing on my land they don't have a go at. Oh, or bracken. Bracken is safe.

I'm guessing you don't want a flower bed filled with gorse and bracken though, so the only option is a good fence. Not sure how practical it would be for you, but ideally the fence should have an overhang sticking out over so that and deer that gets up on its hind legs to reach over bangs its head, gets spooked, and bolts.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,606
    Advice about which plants to grow from the The British Deer Society - Deer in your garden

Here's an interesting snippet from that site:
    "The eco-friendly approach. A good way to protect plants while maintaining a healthy, diverse garden is to provide natural, alternative browse for the deer. This can be achieved simply by allowing brambles, rosebay willowherb, rowan (mountain ash), dandelion, campion, hoary cinquefoil, knotweed, sweet lupin, redleg, ribwort and yarrow to grow within the garden. Deer will then preferentially eat these and may avoid your favourite roses"

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,265
      I've recently solved the problem of deer in my garden - built a higher fence :yess:. That's the only way to be able to plant what you want in the garden.