Help needed - planting shrubs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by twobytwo, Aug 28, 2011.

1. twobytwo

twobytwo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently moved into my first ever house with a proper garden. Unfortunately the previous owner obviously couldn't be bothered with the upkeep, so now everything is either overgrown or dead! I have cut everything back and removed anything that is dead but this has left massive gaps in the borders.
    Can I plant new shrubs now? Or do I have to wait till spring?
    I'm looking to plant something big enough to provide a divide between me & the neighbours, preferably with no spikes or thorns. Just something leafy & green!!!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this and I'm pretty clueless!

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening two by two and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: You can plant anything, at any time,
    as long as it is pot grown and the ground isn`t waterlogged or frozen.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,594
      Hello 2x2:)

As Dai said, if its in a pot, it can go into the ground any time (as long as the ground is workable).

A couple of questions are as yet un-asked though:

What are the conditions like in the bed in question? eg does it get all the sun, or is it shady? Is it soggy or is it dry and dusty? Is it sheltered, or does every breeze come through as a gale?

How quickly do you want the plants to fill the space? How much time can you spend keeping it in check?

What do you actually want there? Eg, just foliage? Something colourful? etc.

There'll be loads and loads of options, but its no good just going to B&Q and choosing what catches your eye on the day, because different plants are suited to different conditions and requirements.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        Well, Clueless has asked all the right questions so that we can help you, Twobytwo, so your turn:D

• tisticout

tisticout Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        For the purpose of dividing your property to your neighbor. I think it is good to plant plants that are in big pot and aline them on the division of your properties.