1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed To Choose A Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by youngdaisydee, Nov 27, 2008.

1. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Theres two to choose from, Both the same price but different Features, I have an idea which one is better, but i would still like your advice.. Thanks...

Fuji S5800

8.1mpixels
    2.5 screen
    continuouse shooting 1.3fps
    26mb internal memory
    max iso range 1600
    12 scene modes
    10 x optical zoom
    5x digital zoom.
    Digital antiblur
    Electronic Viewfinder

Fuji J50

8.2 mpixels
    5.0 optical zoom
    2.7 screen
    continuouse shooting 06
    max iso range 800
    15 scene modes
    optical zoom 5.0
    digital zoom 6.9
    Digital anti blur
    continuous shooting 0.6
    12mb internal memory.

Hope you can help :cool:

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah Bob, Thats what I thought ... Honest..

3. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dee,

personally the 2 things to sway me would be the greater optical zoom and the higher iso of 1600

Alasdair

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Blimey that's a tough question as much depends on what kind of camera you want and how you are likely to use it.
    I've done a bit of 'Googling' but can't find any real in-depth reviews of either camera so my take on the situation is based on camera specifications and the little I've gleaned on the www.

First consideration is are you looking for a nice little pocket camera that will take decent pics or would you be happier with something a bit bigger that offers more creative control?

Another consideration is how important is it for you to get close up to distant subjects?

The S5800 is the one I'd go for, but that's because it's the one that comes closest to what I want from a camera. The optical zoom is twice that of the J50 (I'd forget about digital zoom as digital zooming can be done better on your PC than by a camera)
    The image sizes of both camera are pretty much the same and at 8MP will give you pretty good images that you can crop and zoom.
    Internal memory mainly comes into play for processing and storing images - you'll still need to add a memory card. The fact that the S5800 has a bigger internal memory suggests that processing is faster and the speed with which you can take and store pics is faster (I might be wrong though).

Me - I'd go for the S5800 or possibly look around for a used 'Bridge Camera' such as the S9600.

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Alasdair.. That's the camera I fancied, just wanted someone to confirm its the better of the 2, Just Writing my Xmas List to leave around.. Or putting it under his nose would be safer :) And you are worth it Bob :) im sure

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Davew, I hoped you would Pop in and see my Post, Im looking for a camera that takes decent pics and closeups, nothing too technical.. The S5800 seems to be the best one, for what i want. I think.. Thanks for the advice:gnthb: ..Dee..

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,404
    I would go for the S5800 too, the 10 x zoom is ample unless you are really into wildlife or plane pics and want to get close ups. My Panasonic Lumix is 10x and produces high definition pics so I think the Fuji would be as good or possibly better, go for it.:)

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,404
    Most cameras say easy to use:hehe: but you might need a while to find your way around and some help on here, they are fairly straight forward, the menus and modes can be a bit confusing at first. I'm sure you will be showing us up before long with some stunning pics.:)

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  11. Rouxbee

Rouxbee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi YDD

Just thought i'd add to this thread, all of the photos i have contributed to this site in the photo comps ect have been taken on the S5800, I got mine as a bargain on ebay and in my opinion it's one of the best cameras i've had, i hope Santa is good to you and you enjoy using it :gnthb:

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Happy To hear that Rouxbee.. Phew.. Im going over to look at your Pics, Thanks :)

13. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Dee the latest camera I have is the Fuji Finepix S5700 which Mr Kandy bought for my Birthday in 2007 to go alongside my Kodak Easyshare camera.

I will go along with the others to say that you can't go far wrong with the Fuji S5800 and hope that Santa Claus makes your day and that you have plenty of happy days taking photo's.

Just to add like Rouxbee,most of my recent Comp photos were taken with the Fuji and also the Euchomis flower on GoY:wink:

Good luck with your choice:gnthb:

14. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ooooh Thanks Kandy, Ill take a look.. :)

15. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,785
    Hi YD I have the Fuji S8000fd which I always have with me and the Panasonic FZ18 there is also a FZ8 and the latest one FZ28 they are both excellent camera,s but the Panasonic lens (Leica) is far superior to the Fuji lens and where as the Fuji has 4 AA batteries (rechargeable) the Panasonic as a Lithium single battery which is better all round in my personal opinion,Hope this is of some help:)